• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

500 gallon tank...

So it's just about time I start doing something with my 500 gallon tank. I've got a couple of options here some better ideas than others.

I picked up a 500 gallon tank that I got an awesome deal on, and now I need to figure out what to do with it. I was thinking my basement but seeing how it took like 9 guys to move into a truck without even trying to lift it just sliding it off it's stand and into a UHAUL. It's sitting in my garage right now, I'd have to take it out of the garage going through a door that leads to my backyard, open up the bilco doors make some kind of ramp and slide it down where will probably make it, it's final resting place.

Option two probably isn't a good idea where I would leave it in my garage, cut out a section in my breezeway so you can veiw it from there. I've got two problems with that though. One neither the garage or the breezeway is heated and I think is probably very poorly insulated. That would be the easist spot to put it though because then I would be moving it from one side of the garage to the other. The other problem which of course could be that the exhaust from the cars could cause problems to the fish health, Keeping my cars in the garage during winter is a must.

All my other ideas have been shot down sooooo what does everyone think basement or breezeway?

basement is the best bet with not being heated.. number one is will your tank fit through the bilco doors? What are your dimensions? I can tell you how we (two people) got my 220 through my bilco doors and across the basement.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
One issue I'm finding with 500 gallons of water in the basement is the humitity is crazy high. We are looking at a coulpe thousand for a commercal de-humitifier. I wonder if the price of heating the water in the garage would be cheaper than cooling it in the basement. Either way it should be a cool tank. Makes me want to upgrade. lol.

ohhh humitity fun fun, hopefully my roomate wont see that posting. ;) Basement will more than likely be the resting place though, the garage was just a last minute thought. I don't think I'm going to do an in wall thing even though it would look a lot nicer, but then were cutting into my future theater and part of my bathroom and we can't have that.

I can't think of the size of the tank off hand but I remember measuring and knowing that it would fit. I should have the engineer at work double check it and maybe come up with a good idea how to get it down there without killing everyone. I think I'm going to start off with FOWLR damn bank stocks... :(

Arrg said:
ohhh humitity fun fun, hopefully my roomate wont see that posting. ;) Basement will more than likely be the resting place though, the garage was just a last minute thought. I don't think I'm going to do an in wall thing even though it would look a lot nicer, but then were cutting into my future theater and part of my bathroom and we can't have that.

I can't think of the size of the tank off hand but I remember measuring and knowing that it would fit. I should have the engineer at work double check it and maybe come up with a good idea how to get it down there without killing everyone. I think I'm going to start off with FOWLR damn bank stocks... :(

could be worse....you could be an employee of a bank. ::)