• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

53ms Calibration fluid for Refractometer

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anyone have any calibration fluid I can recheck my refractometer with at the meeting tomorrow?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't have any calibration fluid but I usually just check the ro/di. I'm sure someone will explain why that's wrong but if that is zero I feel comfortable it's pretty close.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can do that, but many refractometers have a slope. Since your salinity test is going to be closer to 1.0264 then zero, it makes better sense to calibrate to 53ms/1.0264.

I've helped a few people calibrate their refractometers in the last couple of months from that thread. Most have "upgraded" from a floating hydrometer to the refractometer. I've asked them to bring both. Everyone's hydrometer has been pretty close to being on the money but the refractometers have been way off with 53ms solution after calibrating with RO/DI water.

It's a combined effect. If you don't have true ZERO TDS reading that can throw you off from the start. Also as Phyl mentioned the slope on many of them are pretty bad. 53ms calibration fluid is probably the cheapest thing you'll ever buy for your aquarium and I'd highly recommend it for anyone with a refractometer. I'd also mail order other test solutions if you plan on doing hypo using a refractometer or you'll again be way off and probably not be low enough to do hypo correctly to kill the parasites but that's off topic and another story.

Carlo