• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

55g Plans

Here is my plan for my 55g (X = bought) (L = Looking at)

800+ gph (Powerheads/return) (L)
Via Aqua Protein Skimmer SK-200 (L)
4x54w T5 Coralvue complete retro kits (X)
2 100w Visi-Therm Stealth Heaters (X/L)
Filter socks for intake of sump (L)
Anyone bought from here?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reef-Aquarium-R...ryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Probbly going to get 50lb+ of Carlo's home made live rock and probbly a DSB. (I like sugar sand)

Let me know what you guys think about all this stuff. If i missed something let me know. (I'm sure i did)

Thank you,
Nick

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What will you do with 2000gph? Your overflow will only handle 600gph (assuming that you'll have 1 overflow), so unless you're going to create a manifold where you could utilize the remainder of the flow from that one pump you're going to have an excess of water returning to your sump. Your return pump would do well to be a mag7 or mag9 depending on the head, horizontal runs and elbows in the setup.

Split your line for "return/phs" to two separate items. Return: 700-800gph, additional flow PHs 1200-3000.

Most skimmers want a dedicated pump, so I doubt you'll be able to use that excess flow there.

If you're looking for additional flow in the tank consider either a Tunze or a closed loop. That gets you the flow you want in the tank without it trying to make its way through the sump (slow flow through there is desireable).

Hope that helps.

Sorry Phyl i meant 2,000 total flow in the tank. The return is probably going to be low because it makes to much noise so I'll have to lower it til i find the sweet spot. My idea was two koralia and two other power heads.
So my return is the queitone 3000 pump probably lower it to 400gph with head loss and valve then 1200-1600 in a few Power heads
That skimmer comes with a 600gph pump (I'm not adding that into my flow through the tank.)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great. I couldn't tell by what you posted and I didn't want to see you make a purchase that wasn't going to be suitable long term. Looks like a good plan.

Yeah i know what you mean. That's why i posted just incase i though of something like that lol
Thanks guys.
Anything else i should get? I was wondering how many LED's do you think i should use?

Might want to budget/consider fans for the lights.

I think if you have four ph's in the tank - depending on the temp in your house - I don't think you'll need heaters - but certainly safer to have one (and a hot swap).

With a possible 4 phs in the display, I personally would go even slower on the return - I'd aim for a mag 7 at best - maybe a mag 5 (obviously the amount of head will impact that decision).

I'd skip the DSB for a 55...My concern is that with sugar sand and four PHs (or a closed loop) in the 55 - it may create a never ending sandstorm.

Will you purchase a sump or do you already have one?

I forgot to post that. I plan on putting some fans in the hood. (Makes the bulbs run longer)
So 4 power heads is going to make it that much warmer?
Think i should get koralias and then see what type of flow is coming out of my return before i get any other power heads?

So get thicker sand with that type of flow?
The sump I'll get two 10 or 15g tanks baffle, drill and connect them

I know it sounds crazy but those little powerheads do put in heat in a tank. It's probably not noticable in a larger tank...we're talking like only 1~2 degrees in the 55. At least - that's what I noticed with a single maxi 1200 in a 55.

You might also consider a water alarm. I saw an older post about getting a $12 water alarm from hd/lowes - I think that certainly should be something to consider.

If you really want to splurge, the tunze ozmolator is a great auto-top-off that also has a built in alarm for the sump in case the water is too low or too high. I believe though most folks here use the alternative top-offs from another company (autotopoff?)

I'd set up the tank with the 4 PHs as you are thinking (or two powerful ones) and see how the sugar sand reacts. It's possible that you may be able to adjust the streams so that there isn't a sand storm. Also as the bacteria reproduce in the tank they tend to help make the sand "clump" a little. How you place your LR will also help to possibly reduce sand from getting blown up.

Good luck! A 55 is nice a long but the downside is that it's short on front-to-back depth. You could see the down-side as a plus in that it'll be easier to spot your livestock.

Thanks, Well i think i'll just go with two powerfull ones. See how that works then maybe add another one or two. As for the sand I probbly will just go with the same sand i have.

Just wondering i noticed 3's are just 4 bucks more... Would a 2 and 3 be cool? The only probblem is the 3 is on back order and idk how that'll work if i get my other stuff on time or when the 3 comes in...

(FINLLY placing the order i was holding it off but i would like to have my tank moved over before my birthday...)

So what kind of corals are you planning on keeping?

The flow plans will work for everything except a tank dominated by hammers, torches and frogspawns. These guys like a more gentle flow.

well - i had a tunze 6060 in a 55 (on one side angled) - and yes the hammer and frogspawn didn't like the direct stream, (the current would literally cause the flesh to recede) - they seem to enjoy the tank having the higher flow.

But I certainly concur with Bill...if you plan on LPS - there's no need to splurge the extra dollars on more flow.

Wow... Thanks i'm glad they wern't in stock.
Well we're almost finished with the canopy i think i'll end up starting a build thread now that i got pictures :)