• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A Microscope and a bottle of seachem Pristine

So I purchased some seachem prime the other day and next to it was a bottle of pristine thinking I grabbed two bottles of prime I accidentally picked up the pristine.
I have never used the stuff before and when I got home and saw this mistake I decided to read what it does before I returned it.
From what I can tell ita basically nitrafying bacteria in a bottle like alot of those biological start up bottles and rapid cycle products. The label says it contains bio augmented and natural methoded to improve water quality and provides bacteria that break down waste.
I've always been curious about these products and there bacteria contents wondering how long do the bottles of bacteria actually stay good for because bacteria has a shelf life.
So I decided to do an experiment and throw some on my microscope slide (pro tip they are good tools to have in this hobby if you have any bio science skills left from high school or college left) and see what I could see20191113_145625.jpg20191113_145638.jpg20191113_145503.jpg20191113_145624.jpg
Now those little jelly donuts here are the bacteria none of it was moving but it could be the fact that I killed it when I added iodine to stain the sample so they would show up.
This was under 10x 40/0,65 magnification
For those wondering.
At a farther out viewing you would see the weird almost tube spiral shaped of other bacteria how ever it was hard to get that I. The picture.

In theory if this sample was placed on a gridded slide with a exact amount of sample you could count the bacteria in on box then multiply by the number of grid boxs usually 10x100 and then use that number and some math of the total volume of the source to get a total PPM of bacteria per bottle but that's not really needed lol
In the future I might post some other sample shots I take for you to look at if you like