• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

acceptable glue for frags?

Hello

just wondering what glues I can use for frags, loose mushrooms? I have some new frags, but I have something in my tank, pistol shrimp, they knocks them down where I can see them or find them.Right now I looking for a frag of pink zoas. I want to glue them to some bigger pieces of rock so they don't get lost. What glue, glues can I use?

revclyburn

malulu

NJRC Member
glue gel from the recent group buy would work... you can ask Phyl, i think the club bought some extra...

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glue will not work with mushrooms. They will just slime right off of it. Best bet for them is a shllow container with rubble in it and allow them to attache on their own. You can cover the container with some netting to keep the shrooms from being blown out.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If the shrooms are holding a small piece of rock they can be glued. If they have *no* rock fragments on the back of them then Matt's right. They can't be glued and sitting them in rubble will get them to attach to that, which can then be glued to something larger.

I think pretty much any gel glue is fine, loclite (sp?) is commonly recommended... I also use the target brand w/o any issues. For shrooms... they can take more then you'd think. Alot of people sew them onto a rock (using plain thread or even thin fishing line, once they've attached you can just snip it off) I had one that wouldn't stay put so I sewed him in place and it worked perfectly, no issues from the couple holes I put in him doing it.

for keeping mushrooms on the a rock, you can always use a toothpick into a rock pierced through the mushroom.. keep the mushroom in low flow till it attaches..

Thanks everyone

I have shrooms moving all around my tank. Since I got T5'S they've been on the move, guess the light is tro strong for them. I bought some trays to put the shrooms I can get to in, along with some sand and rubble. As for the frag of pink zoas, I see where it's at, but can't get to it. Got to figure out a way, don't want to lose them. When I get my new l/r, I'm probably going to get rid of the pistol shrimp. If I had another tank, I wouldn't, but that guy is at least 3 inches, and always cloudying up the tank. ANYBODY looking for one???

revclyburn

Do you have long stainless steel tweezers? You can get them cheap on ebay (I bought a set of three 8" 10" and 12") I'm forever using them in my tanks to reach and grab stuff.. .might work to get your zoas.

I got the frag,

had to rip half the rock out to get it, but I had to do it. I'm now missing a Green leather frag, and I got to find out what keep taking my frags. The only thing I know that's probably strong enough to move that zoas frag it a pistol shrimp I have. I don't know whatelse could be snatching them. This is the second leather frag that's missing. Had a long polyped leather frag, that I have in a crevice of a piece of live rock. It was pretty secure, I thought it was, came up missing, never found it. Xenia frags, missing, now this leather. What can be doing this. And whatever it is, it has a taste for leathers and simliar type corals. Hence the reason for the glue. Any ideas what may be doing this? If I didn't have to go to work today, I'd take all the rock out and search deeper for it, pull out the pistol shrimp, and maybe the hoodlum damsels, and re-do my rock work. I'll do that tomorrow, if not later tonight I guess. In the meantime, anybody looking for a pistol shrimp?

rev

This rock has been in there for over a year,

I think I would have seen it by now. but you never know. I really don't think that it's a hitchhiker. This pistol, is big, he can move stuff easily.

edwin

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Could also be one of your fish. My female clown loves to move frags around the tank. I've seen her pick up the plugs or discs and carry them around the tank.

Hey Panmanmatt

I don't think that is the case, Damsel aren't into moving rocks, the goby maybe,
but the chances of that are slim, and cream angels will rather eat the corals, than move them. I just can't figure it out. Hopefully when I get home later, the water will be clearer and I'll find the missing leathers. If not, the shrimp is going in the sump. Evicted for frag thievery.

Hey what was that big worm somebody had in their tank? I remember seeing it posted on RC,wasn't that one of our members?

edwin

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Damsels and clowns are the same fish, only difference is clowns wear fancier clothes. They are all just as spiteful and nasty as the rest. If the fish thinks the frag is even remotely close to it's territory, it will move them. My 4" female clown picks up rocks the size of golf balls like they're nothing.

I didn't know that,

damsels moving rocks around, interesting. I wouldn't put it pass the 4 hoodlum 3 stripes in my tank. Have to keep my eyes open. But, really I think it's the pitsol shrimp, he's always busy. My tank has days when it is just cloudy all day from his digging. I've been planning on giving the shrimp away, as I have about 60+ lbs of live rock I'm adding to my tank soon and I don't need a avalanche.

In any event, I need to find the leather frag, both of them if possible, but the tank was cloudy when I left, so hopefully when I get home later, it will be clear. The shrimp isn't helping that though, was digging when I left for work. I need to start another tank to put him in till I can find a home for him, maybe I'll take him back to Trop. In the meantime, he needs a home where he can dig all he wants.

Hey, what eats Xenia, I had some growing, and it grows back. But everytime it does, something snatches it up. Any idea?

RevClyburn

Some Angels do, Bristle Worms will, would also check to see if it is being attacked by another coral. Zenia can get invasive and croud another corals personal bubble.