• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Additives

Carefull on this Tropic marine A & K supplements .. research on RC there is like a whole debate of this which people claim at first to get good colors but later on Algae growth... I f I wasn't mistaken ZOOM( RC name ) he used to dose it and got a bad result..

thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the input Steve. I wonder if there's a break point at which you go over the amount that your system can tolerate without excess algae growth...

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I'm gonna give it a shot as well. I read somewhere that amino acid is a good thing to add. I hope the acid part dosn't lower my already PITA PH.

Rich I dose Amino Acid and got a good growth but when I had my ALk and Ph issue's I stopped. Now my system is in check and soon I will dose again ..

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I guess I'm new, but from everything I've read, if you don't have a test kit for it, don't put it in the tank.

Showing pics of getting frags and then showing them after they've been in your tank for a month isn't really a good indicator of whether or not the additive worked very well, IMO. It just means that it's doing well in the tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most of those corals had been in his system for some time, only a few of them were recently purchased frags. The color changes and growth in his existing corals was quite interesting.

As for dosing what you can't measure, true... but I consider amino acids more like vitamins/DTs/food than Calcium, Iodine, borate, strontium... chemicals, minerals, and the like. Those are the things that you wouldn't dose without being able to test for.

RichT said:
I think I'm gonna give it a shot as well. I read somewhere that amino acid is a good thing to add. I hope the acid part dosn't lower my already PITA PH.

These are NOT aminoacids! These (in the article!) are trace elements ions (K+ = cations, A- = anions). So, while it could have been beneficial in his tank, it does not mean that it will be in someone elses. If it indeed helped his corals, that meas that the particular combination of salt he was using AND the corals that he was stocking was deficiant in those minerals, and that adding them helped. If someone else is using some other salt, those elements could be in it in appropriate levels, or if they are supplemented through some other form of fish or coral food, then they do not need that additive.

Phyl said:
Most of those corals had been in his system for some time, only a few of them were recently purchased frags. The color changes and growth in his existing corals was quite interesting.

I am really curious about this. Phyllis, do you know his tank personally? All of his pictures are showing small frags, and not established colonies. Did he have the same improvements with the established colonies as well? Could it be that the corals have just finished their acclimation? Also, there is a small difference in the colors of the rocks surrounding those corals. Is it possible that he has changed light bulbs recently and the corals have finished adjustment to the new (presumably stronger) lights?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Those "small frags" were established frags/colonies that he's had for some time, according to his post.

All the photos are roughly 3 months apart except for the rainbow and the superman.

Also, according to his post, the greatest change in these corals has happened over the last 3 weeks:

I just changed my dosing about two-three weeks ago and WOW what a difference......

Not only do I not know his tank personally, but I also haven't posted in his thread for any further clarifications. ::shrug:: The anectdotal evedence seemed interesting enough for me to give it a try for a few weeks and see if I can spot any noticable difference in my system.

I've got time and patience and the willingness to enjoy the experiment... I'll let you know what happens in my tank :) I've already posted some of my "before" pictures. I'll try to get similar shots of them all in 3w.