• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

adjusting MRC skimmer

i was hopeing some one here has a mr3 skimmer, i got mine hookedupbut dont know where theproper water level is, if i set it 3-5 inches from the bottom the foam only goes half way up the first tube and it starts to get ugly looking

I have the same skimmer and same issue. I contacted MRC and they stated that the first tube does get ugly. I played with it and wasted about as much time as I was willing to avoid this. Multiple cleanings of risers and even taking the vent apart.

One thing to note is that MRC states that vent are VERY sensitive to debris... here is link to the post and feedback...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1391258

Good luck.

i run my MR-2 water level high because i like a wet skimate.
by keeping it that high i also don't have to worry about cleaning the second riser.
this is where i keep my water level.
DSC09731.jpg

i noticed when i set mine that high it skimms ok, i think the pump is too small though, the guy i bought the skimmer from gave me the pump with it (mak4), mrc said i need atleast a pw150, so i guess im buying a larger pump

malulu

NJRC Member
i agreed with Steve, i also set it that high - so i only need to cleaning 1 section (not two).
you can try to adjust your output valve to see if it help before you getting a new pump.

well i got the recomended pump for the skimmer and this thing woke up, man did it wake up, i can have the water level 1 inch from the base and it still pushes foam over the top, now im waiting for the updated beckett housing with the larger input, then i wont have to reduce the hose to 3/4 inch, it should really kick some ass then...wooohooo..