• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae bloom in the fuge

arvin

NJRC Member
Hi all,

I am back again after a brief hiatus. No more travel for the next few months so back to reefing for good.

I have some green algae in my four months old fuge. I see pinkish algae on the glass and thick green deposits on the sand bed. Is this normal? I know that a water change is overdue and planning to do one this weekend.

If you look at the pic, left side of the fuge is super clean which I think partly because there is some water flow from the auto top off. The right side is where the algae bloom is seen. Display tank does not seem to be affected.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks is advance.

Arvind.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 120
Arvind for what it look you need more water movement in your fuge, put a few powerheads to give more current

Gabe

arvin

NJRC Member
I will go ahead and put a power head in there. I was under the (wrong) impression that the water flow in the fuge must be minimal.

Thanks!

kabal2 said:
Arvind for what it look you need more water movement in your fuge, put a few powerheads to give more current

Gabe

If this is a refugium, you don't need too much flow, specially since this looks like DSB fuge. As for algae growing, from the picture it doesn't look too bad - they simply seem concentrated where the light is. Use the growth of this algae as an indicator of your water quality. If it grows too fast, scrub it and reduce the nutrients in the water (reduce feeding, improve skimming, etc.). Do you have macroalgae in the fuge (I can't see any)? If not, what is the point of the light?

The pink stuff on the glass is probably cyano, and green stuff can be many different things.

Looking at your picture, the sand actually looks a bit too clean (from my point of view). Do you have worms and the other critters in it? By sifting, digging and turning the sand they will improve the nitrogen cycle in the DSB, and help in controlling the growth of microalgae and cyanobacterias on the sand surface.

arvin

NJRC Member
There is very little macroalgae on the right side. I have marked in the picture attached.

Another thing I noticed that the bulb has become lot less intense. I am using one of those energy star flood light bulbs. I cannot believe that they are losing the life in like two months. I will change the bulb.

I have some peppermint shrimps & a bunch of snails in the fuge. I am planning to get some more critters for the fuge in the current group buy.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 82

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WB Arvin,

How long has the fuge been set up for? Is the pink algae hard? It Could also be coralline.
I have minimal flow through my fuge, although I do have a powerhead near the top of the tank for some surface agitation. I wouldn't be too worried about the algae in the fuge, as long as there isn't nuisance algae in the main tank. I've had all kinds of algae growing in my fuge (hair & cyano) but it never made it to the display.

If you need some macro for your fuge, you're more than welcome to stop by and pick some up from me..It usually has a bunch of critters running around in it as well.

arvin

NJRC Member
The fuge has been setup for less than 3 months. It does not look like coraline, but I will check again anyway.

I will stop by for macro algae and will give you a buzz before coming in. Thanks for the offer!.

Im not talking flow through the refugium, im talking flow within the fuge, and if you dont have enough flow all the detrius will settle down and will not get to the skimmer, or will just stay in one place, and i know that because i had the same problem, i put a maxijet600 in the fuge and no more nunsense alge just macro

Gabe

maybe you need some snails wink wink... Brian I might need some cheato soon. I am going to be ordering a new mini canister filter for my tank and want to build a small crate out of the star board you gave me to hold some macro in the tank...

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have to check and see how much Cheato I have left...I started using Phosban and almost all of my macro died out. I've since stopped using it.. I would rather go the natural route...plus it's more fun to watch! :)

I have plenty of grape caulpera though.

arvin

NJRC Member
ReefDrumz said:
What day do you think you will be stopping by?

How about Thursday between 7 & 8 pm? I think you have my Phosban from the last group buy. I can collect that too.

arvin

NJRC Member
ReefDrumz said:
I have to check on your Phosban, but that day should work fine.

Sorry, since I collected the Carbon from you, I just assumed you have my phosban also. It is ok if you don't have it, I can collect it later.

arvin

NJRC Member
Brian,

Many many thanks for the Macro that you gave me.

Btw, after seeing your tank my tank looks so tiny. You have a really awesome setup. Good luck with it!