• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae ID and Help

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
I have been battling this algae (brown cyno?) since treating my tank with Fenbendazole to kill off Xenia. Tank also sometimes gives off a musty smell, making think it *could* be some sort of cyno. My zoas and pallys have seem to have died since treatment and this outbreak as well. Any help IDing what exactly it is (diatoms, dino, cyno, something else) and possible treatments?[IMG_6075.JPGIMG_6076.JPGIMG_6077.JPGIMG_6078.JPGIMG_6079.JPGIMG_6080.JPGIMG_6081.JPGIMG_6082.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6083.JPG
    IMG_6083.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Possibly dinos? Some of the bubbles in your pictures lead me to that.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looks like Dinos to me as well. They are tough to beat. I used peroxide with a few blackouts. It worked short term only.
After close to a year I just did a 7 day blackout. I taped black poster board all over and threw a blanket over that.
Knock wood been gone since then along with some coral and 2 fish.
Good luck.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Dinoflags it be, possible diatoms mixed in for luck.
Got em myself after a big tank changeover.
Usual suspects, as always, phosphate, nitrogen, silicate, and Keyser Soze. If you were killing off xenia, they 'melt' and leave a mess of a cycle balance behind.

Per my stuff I've been using a baster for the past few weeks blowing them off the rock and zoas daily, dosing with Microbacter, and running 10% WC 1-2x per week.
Finally pulling ahead after a month or so. But mine is from some new (cycled) rock, sand changes, and new frags all occurring at once, not a chemical kill off.

This is a pretty good and very thorough rundown I have bookmarked. Covers letting it run its course (me), some slow lazy treatments (me sometimes) and/or more aggressive combination treatments (never me, too much work)...

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Dinoflags it be, possible diatoms mixed in for luck.
Got em myself after a big tank changeover.
Usual suspects, as always, phosphate, nitrogen, silicate, and Keyser Soze. If you were killing off xenia, they 'melt' and leave a mess of a cycle balance behind.

Per my stuff I've been using a baster for the past few weeks blowing them off the rock and zoas daily, dosing with Microbacter, and running 10% WC 1-2x per week.
Finally pulling ahead after a month or so. But mine is from some new (cycled) rock, sand changes, and new frags all occurring at once, not a chemical kill off.

This is a pretty good and very thorough rundown I have bookmarked. Covers letting it run its course (me), some slow lazy treatments (me sometimes) and/or more aggressive combination treatments (never me, too much work)...
Always knew you were a slacker.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We did a long term (13 days) blackout and followed the Dr. Tims protocol with dealing with dinos. That worked and we have not seen them since. We did a shorter blackout and they came back a few weeks later.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Does this blow off easily into the water column or do you have to physically pull it off the rocks?

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
We did a long term (13 days) blackout and followed the Dr. Tims protocol with dealing with dinos. That worked and we have not seen them since. We did a shorter blackout and they came back a few weeks later.
What did you do with your corals for 13 days Mike?

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Dinos in my eye, there is a ton of material to read through and a pile of videos out there on U tube.
im no dino pro but the one statement you will always here from everyone is that it usually take months to get rid of them. Take it slow and try a method which is proven. Good luck

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They
What did you do with your corals for 13 days Mike?
they stayed in the tank. We lost a lot of them, some made it, some hung on, some actually looked better but we probably lost about half.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
I have done 3 doses of Dino X and have been dosing H202. No dent. I have the GFO and carbon off as per Dino X instructions.

Phosphates are now at .29 (Hanna) and Nitrates are now at 40 (API).

@Mike S, this one of the reasons I want to start the new 180 all new as opposed to bringing things over and trying to manage the issues.

Any other ideas on how to get this under control?