• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae problems

Please see attached pictures. I am having a algae problem. I have treated it with chemiclean twice and did the recommended water change

Attachments

• 64B1E7C4-8096-4F44-B057-125FEA4A4EAA.jpeg
    64B1E7C4-8096-4F44-B057-125FEA4A4EAA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 08EC2EF7-795F-4C3F-81A8-91080F4F2C7D.jpeg
    08EC2EF7-795F-4C3F-81A8-91080F4F2C7D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Algae is normal and it’s in every tank.
You might be feeding too much or too much light. Do you have a clean up crew ? Snails/crabs/urchins.

Do you have any algae eating fish ?
Fox face/ tang/ blennies

Mad reefer,

I have a sump, a fuge, a big protein skimmer, i feed the fish once a day three cubes of frozen food. I have a blue tang, goby and a blenny. Want to get a yellow tang. Will test parameters later because I’m doing a water change later.

Amado,

I do have a clean up crew light is on from 10:30 am to 5:30 pm sunset with three hour ramp time.

Kevin. Sounds like you have covered most bases. I agree water test will help diagnose. But one more question. How long has tank been up and running.

Display tank is 65 gallon cube. I purchased this set up from a friend. The live rock and water was mostly kept. This tank has Ben running for 4 years. I’ve had it for 3 months

horseplay

NJRC Member
Let’s think about this logically. There is light, there is nutrients, of course algae will grow. It will grow and grow until you remove the nutrients.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks for the additional info Kevin.

Its new and you will get algae all the tank finds it balance.
As Diana said seems like much food for the fish you have.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Potential approach...
Light - cut ramp times back to 1 hour, saves 4 hours of light that algae feeds off of (it will feed off the barest glow)
Nutrients - back that food way down, I've got 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 2 anthias, and 4 more assorted and they get about 1 1/2 cubes per day tops. For 3 fish I'd go 1/2 a cube.
Water changes - Do this now and often before algae takes complete hold (and all is lost). I'd do a 5g bucket twice a week or a 10g change on the weekend. More if you can, arguably the best thing you can possibly do.
Blow off the rocks - Grab a turkey baster, submerge, and blow detritus off the rocks. I hit mine up at least 2-3x per week, another simple thing that is a powerhouse against algae.
Protein skimmer - make sure its adjusted in and tweak it if necessary, even if you overskim by a small bit. A container 1/2 full of wet skim a day is fine as its getting the decaying algae out.
Mechanical filters - If socks, change them every 48 hours for the time being, if using floss, use small amounts and change daily
Check your flow - Make sure that you've got good water circulation through the tank with no 'dead spots'. Low flow areas are where algae usually gains a foothold.

Its pretty easy stuff, outside the water changes, but once the tank stabilizes it'll get much easier.
My new 100g is in an algae phase now (its new, so its expected) and I'm doing all of the above to keep ahead of it.

Good luck