• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

alkalinity and calcium suplements

both my alk and calcium are low:

ca: 320
alk: 1.89
magnesium: 1320

what should i use to bring them both up? when i bring the calc and alk up will that lower my magnesium levels?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No, bringing your Ca/Alk up shouldn't drop your Mg. You can use a 2 part like b-ionic to bring them up together. Carlo posted a link to a calculator. You might want to check that out. Just don't try to correct the deficiency all at once. You don't want to do anything fast.

Only bad things happen fast in saltwater systems!

cmsurfr22, Here is the link Phyl mentioned I posted before:
http://reef.diesyst.com/

When you plug in your numbers click on the "flash" box over to the right. It will show you were you presently are in reference to the "safe/ideal" zone and will also show you your "target" if you happen to put in "target" numbers you are shooting for. You can choose different products and the calc will determine for you how much of each product is needed to raise your levels and will give you any warnings you might need to watch out for. The most important thing to remember (in general) is to make adjusts over a course of days and not to try and do it all at once as this usually will "shock" the system to much.

If you have any questions about the calculator or product selections just ask as there are many people here that use many different products and someone is bound to be able to help you.

Oh btw, your magnesium levels are pretty good for now so don't worry about them. Concentrate on bringing up your alk and calcium a little each day until you hit the "red zone".

Carlo