• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

All that's left is picking out a skimmer...

Hey guys,

I have been wondering about this for awhile what type of skimmer can i fit in my stand. It's 18.5" from the bottom of the inside to the top of the inside.
Most skimmers i hear good stuff about won't fit or would be a pain to get the cup off. I'm open to just about anything! As for price i would like to stay around 125 bucks

Thanks in advance,

Nick

The 55 I had - I put an 18" skimmer (tall) on it. I still had some room to maneuver the cup off (twist, lift). Honestly though I didn't do that too often since I attached a bottle to the skimmer outflow so the bottle was the only thing I was taking out with frequency (to dump the skimmate).

As i recall i had about 21 inches (approx) from bottom to top - so it was just enough to remove the cup. (The skimmer was an aqua c ev 120 skimmer). I went with that model at the time because I had intended to upgrade to a larger tank. I think though after reading all the input on the MRC - that will be my next skimmer. That (the MRC) is too high for a 55 (and likely unnecessary).

The Via Aqua Protein Skimmer SK-200 is 17" and takes 1.5-2" to take the cup off so it's almost perfect I am still wondering about cutting a square in the stand so the sump can sit on the floor giving me 3" more and i have more to choose from.
Would having the sump 2" lower then the inside of the stand give me any problems?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can't be sure about this, but I think if you had the skimmer lower it could possibly cause a back siphon if the power goes out and fill up the skimmer. I may be totally off, but that's the only issue I could see with it.

I'm sorry i meant if i lower the hole sump. would it weaken the stand? because the inside of my stand sits 2-3" off the ground. if i cut a big enough hole for the sump to fit on the floor then i would have around 20"

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oops, I guess I read that wrong! I can't be sure if it would affect the integrity of the stand. I guess it depends on how it was made. People cut holes in the sides of thier stands, so I would *think* that cutting a hole in the bottom would be ok as well.

Yeah all the weight from the tank would be on the sides right? Because the bottom of the stand is screwed into the sides. I just can't see it being a problem but i guess i should ask the company.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm sure the company will tell you not to do it. It would be in thier best interest for you NOT to do it. If they told you that you could, and then something happened, they would be to blame.