• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anem question

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, upgraded to the 90. Moved 70# of live rock over from old tank and added about 40# that I had curing for a few months. Totally new water.

Would like to add an anem at this point for my clowns. I know the tank needs to be established but am curious on the exact definition.
So, is the tank now established as its using a majority of old live rock or is it unestablished as it has 100% new water?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
how long has the tank been running with the new water? to me (just my opinion) you should wait a little before throwing in a nem so that your DT can fully cycle ....being that you are using live rock from your old DT....you should have a shorter cycle process....to me its a 50/50 shot....personally i keep nems (BTA , Haddon, a small rock) and i waited about a good 6 months before i decided to add them into my tank....just because i was so scared that my tank wasn't ready and that i didn't want to waste money if these guys were going die on me

again i am not expert...but this is just my opinion

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Yeah, been about a week with the new water and sand. Was hoping for experiences of 'Sure! Its all good', but expecting advice to hold off a bit. Thanks for the reply, you've confirmed what I was thinking and I'll give it a few months.