• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anemone Feeding

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have a RBTA that, since I picked it up a month and a half ago, has at least doubled in size. Feeding it by the book. I’m curious what others are doing as far as feeding. Am I feeding this guy too much? I have visions of Little Shop of Horrors...”Feed me.” And what do you feed your anemone?

if he's growing and looking happy then no your doing ok.. usually every other day i give mine a silverside or squid. it won't touch mussel but the condy loves it..

Most anemones in the wild dont actually eat a while fish unless its a carpet. Fish are pretty smart at avoiding anemones in the water coloum aka high on the reef.

Picture this. A a group of sharks swimming in the water coloum come by and tear a group of tuna or mackrel to shreds. The free floating reminents float down and get picked on by the fish in a feeding frezy.

I usually feed my anemones rods food, mysis, and occasionally about quater inch by quarter inch peices of silversides reluctantly.

Silver sides can go bad and when they do its not good. I had two RBTAs dissenegrate from the outside in. Their skin around their oral disk was dissengrating from the infection. All healed but i swore off silver sides for ever. Too much of a chance for my larger anemones.

I feed mine baby scallops.. when you get it the size you want.. no feeding is needed.. it will live off the algae inside it.. I'd just feed it after its grown very rarely