• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

anemone identification

I have this carpet anemone with the slightly longer tenticles than the green carpets, way less sticky. I would like to do some reading on them but cant remember that species name. IF I see the name I will most likly remember.

Thanks all

Stichodactyla Gigantea - Giant Carpet Anemone - Dont be fooled they are much stickier but dont eat fish.

Mine is about 16inches across and sticky as heck.

Any pics?

Aha, I was told by the LFS that they were less sticky and that was the reason why they don't eat fish. While removing it from the bag it wrapped around my hand and it is very sticky. Seems I'm allergic too, my hand swelled pretty good with bumps.

Thanks.

I will try and find my camera charger and take some pics I have not seen it since moving to NJ 5 months ago.

Mine is just as sticky as a short tentacle one. They are not fish eaters and its not becuase its less sticky. They dont eat fish because where they are generally located there are no fish that would venture into the rock work where they usually make their home.

Henrye718 said:
.... Seems I'm allergic too, my hand swelled pretty good with bumps. ...

I think most people have reactions to touch them.. I personally have never tested that theory with my BTA, but only for that reason.

BTA's dont really have a sensitive sting.

Carpets are the sticky ones. My gigantea when it stings me feels like electric shock

so... "don't really" means they still do but it's just a mild rash or are you saying I can hand feed it silversides instead of using forceps? :)

you can hand feed BTA's but id advice against it for carpets. My 2 foot gigantea actually will tug back on the feeding tongs and i usually have to tug back. Also when i tug back a few tentacles break off too.

Its normal with gigantea to have tentacles come off.

My first anemone was a haddoni carpet. Since getting him, one of my essential reef eq was a box of rubber latex gloves (dust free), and a pair of plastic tongs for feeding. I wouldn't risk touching him with my bare hands since I had the gloves. Affects can range from nothing to painful stinging, rash, swelling, or worse... And I didnt want to hurt him also. Heck, knowing me, it would be the one time that I had a cut on my had would either infected me, or infected him.

Now even with the my BTAs, I use the gloves, and feed with tongs. Just habit. I get enough grief from removing brissle worm needles when I wash out my water change buckets...