• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Another lighting question

I recently gutted my aqua medic spacelight, and replaced the ballast with the new Ice Caps(they are fantastic by the way ;D ), in the process I had to remove the pcs. I'd like to add a third 250w in there as I do have the room and need some blue. My concern is the protective glass is split in two pieces, and would like your opinion as to whether this millimeter size whole(this whole is in the middle of the fixture where my third light would go) will create problems for my corals. All opinions welcome

233_22_07_07_11_43_58.jpg

I would not think so
Are you using HQI or Mogul Base?
If you are using Mogul base they already have the UV filter in the globe of the lamp the HQIs do not.
When I was running Mogul base lamps I was not even using a glass protector

Jason

thetiler said:
I would not think so
Are you using HQI or Mogul Base?
If you are using Mogul base they already have the UV filter in the globe of the lamp the HQIs do not.
When I was running Mogul base lamps I was not even using a glass protector

Jason

I'll be using HQI thus the need for the UV filter.

I don't think that would be a problem, but if it does worry you, you could use silicon to cement a piece of metal, about 3/8" wide across the crack. Only cement one side to the glass, so you can still move the glass pains around.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
the uv rays are nothing to mess with I would replace the glass. I bleached a bunch of corals with no glass. I had Prem Aqutics send me a new glass for a sunlight supply hqi. it was like 30 shipped.