• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any Cabinet Makers Here?

Hello there,

If you are a cabinet maker can you please reply. I have some questions I would like answered when building a stand for a reef tank. I appreciate your time and help.

ok.. and this might sound silly, but how do you know that the stand you made can support the weight that you put on it.

Basically I want to know or see something that says.. " If you build it this way it will support 1200lbs " Are there any guidelines anywhere? or do I have to research it to death to figure out what brace shapes support at what degree of angle to this and that.

I would just want to know that what I build it safe and secure... Thanks for the replies btw.

mynd said:
ok.. and this might sound silly, but how do you know that the stand you made can support the weight that you put on it.

Basically I want to know or see something that says.. " If you build it this way it will support 1200lbs " Are there any guidelines anywhere? or do I have to research it to death to figure out what brace shapes support at what degree of angle to this and that.

I would just want to know that what I build it safe and secure... Thanks for the replies btw.

To be totally truthful i was very scared of that also BUT if you put the correct braces at the correct distance "theoretically" you can support any size tank because it is distributed correctly. I belive it is every 18 inches but I would have to check that one again.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You have to contact the manufacture of the lumber you use. They'll send you a spec sheet. If it lays vertical it can support this much or horizontal it can support this much. They might also have spec's on GAF website. You won't find anything specifically for tank stands. If I come up with some of my old books, I have the basic info on a lot of woods.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I tried to enter the specs of my next tank. It told me it was too big. :p

mynd said:
Good information thanks.. I found this.. You think it is worthwhile?

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Interesting to say the least.

Those are the plans i used to build my stand for my 120 ... they use a 4x4 across the top rear of the stand which is not good because the wholes for your overflow in a RR tank would be blocked by the wood ... it's also very tight with a 2x4 which I found out too late.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I tried it (about 10 times) A little bit of an overkill on a big tank.

The program has a limitation of like 225 gallons. I guess there are additional things that should be done over that weight that the program cannot provide.

Do any of you have any pictures of the stands you built?

mynd said:
The program has a limitation of like 225 gallons. I guess there are additional things that should be done over that weight that the program cannot provide.

Do any of you have any pictures of the stands you built?

You can check my build thread. It holds my 240 all filled up and I even lean on it to do work. No issues.

I built my stand for my 210 with Sam's advise and it came out pretty good. it was also my first tank. I think the 4x4's in the attached site is definitely overkill and how would you connect the pipes into the bulksheads!

mynd said:
I just contacted Norm Abram. Let's see what he has to say...

And you can try pm'ing Jcurry@wesketch. Jeff is a long time NJRC member and an architect who use to jump in and answer these questions.

If he answers, tell him to stop by more often. We miss him!