• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anybody know how to get anemones off the live rock?

I have just did this earlier this week (and it was not the first time). The situation was that I had two BTAs right next to each other on one side of the tank, and another BTA on the far side. I was planning to remove one of the two on the first rock to sell to someone.

1) Wore powder free rubber gloves.
2) I removed the two BTA rock and worked with it submerged under the water.
3) Tried to massage the BTAs with my finger and I took my time.
4) Tried direct flow from a powerhead
5) Tried cold water using an ice cube but without directly touching the BTA with it.
5) I've also used a spoon, using the soft rounded edge of the handle (not the eating end) to try get under the foot. Using soft, gentle nudging. Basically used to prevent the BTA from reattaching any part of its foot that it did release.

Ive worked with the rock in my hands for about a half hour. But I was not getting anywhere because these guys found the perfect hole to attach their foot. I couldn't get an angle good enough the reach the bottom of their feet. The buyer and I agreed that it wasn't going to happen that day, so I aborted the attempt. The two BTAs are still on the same rock and have not moved since. Now they are the happy home of our new Yellow Striped Maroon named Sushi.

The next day, I attempted on the other BTA since the other two were not moving. I did the same proceedure, this time inverting the rock upside down and lifting out of the water just enough that the BTA was hanging by some of its own weight (about 1 inch and only its foot was in the air). In about 10 minutes, he slowly started to remove his foot and "fell" off the rock.

The moral of the story is to take your time. You have to let the BTA come off the rock on its own with a little encouragement (massaging). Refrain from encouraging so much that you damage the skin. And if you think its not going to come off, stop the attempt and try some other time.

Now here is my Question. I also have a green haddoni carpet which hopefully will be removing from system soon and want to prepare for the actual day. Now he is going to be somewhat difficult to get out without ripping my rockwork up. If I can get him to release his foot, removing him will be MUCH easier, but his foot is alittle unreachable. Under the tank, looking upto the glass, I have a clear shot of his foot which has dug into the sand to the glass. I was thinking of trying to either place ice cubes on the glass to "cool" the glass, or use a hair dryer to "warm" the glass to an uncomfortable level to which he releases. I wanted to know any thoughts on either method, and speed. If go to fast, it might hurt him. Go to slow, it might hurt him for its like cliche where the frog that doesnt jump out of the pot of boiling water because the temp was raised slowly.