• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone know why kind of bivalve this is? It just showed up in my tank over the last week

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My reply is not because of your picture, because I can't see anything, but that might be because I'm colorblind.....but my reply is from your red/green comment. There is an invasive mussel from Asia commonly known as the green mussel. When young, they are brightly red/green, and what I've seen is red at the base and more green at the lip.....opposite to what you've said. As they turn into adults, the colors fade. But again, that's the best I can do for a guess....google search Green Mussel and see if that's what you have.

My reply is not because of your picture, because I can't see anything, but that might be because I'm colorblind.....but my reply is from your red/green comment. There is an invasive mussel from Asia commonly known as the green mussel. When young, they are brightly red/green, and what I've seen is red at the base and more green at the lip.....opposite to what you've said. As they turn into adults, the colors fade. But again, that's the best I can do for a guess....google search Green Mussel and see if that's what you have.
While it is not this exact one it does appear to be a mussel of some sort. Thankyou for some insight as to what it is

DYIguy

NJRC Member
While it is not this exact one it does appear to be a mussel of some sort. Thankyou for some insight as to what it is
So the question remains- do you keep it, or toss it. I don't know what I'd do- I like different stuff- sometimes I take chances- I got a couple of differnt kinds of sponges- pineapples are fine the 'roots' are a pain- I had/ maybe still have a nudibanch of some kind , and recently found a brittle star, which lost some of it's legs when I moved it from one tank to another

eholceker

NJRC Member
So the question remains- do you keep it, or toss it. I don't know what I'd do- I like different stuff- sometimes I take chances- I got a couple of differnt kinds of sponges- pineapples are fine the 'roots' are a pain- I had/ maybe still have a nudibanch of some kind , and recently found a brittle star, which lost some of it's legs when I moved it from one tank to another
Leave it be.