• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquacontroller Jr. and Powerheads

Everyone, I just hooked up 2 Tunze Powerheads to my Ac Jr and I am trying to turn them off and on with it. Sounds simple? Well..... I am having issues.

When I force it off it will actually say it is off but the powerhead does not turn off! If I unplug it and plug it right back in when it says it is off then it will stay off. It will turn them on just fine but it will just not turn them off unless I physically unplug it. Has anyone seen anything like this or any ideas for me to test with?

I don't know about the particular issue you are having BUT have you made sure the Tunze Powerheads you are using are made to work with frequent on/offs. Most Tunze's don't like this kind of "wave maker" and will burn out pretty quickly do this.

Carlo

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sam

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to run Tunze's off an Aquacontroller. Do a search on RC for it (or look in the Tunze Forum)

I figured that it would work ok because it would just cut the power to them but I guess that is not how the Ac Jr. works?

i think the only way to use the aquacontroller would be be 30 mins off and then 30 mins on...
people do this with vortechs..

billyr98 said:
i think the only way to use the aquacontroller would be be 30 mins off and then 30 mins on...
people do this with vortechs..

That is what I am doing except I am doing 6 hours on 6 hours off so it does not burn out the powerhead as quick.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The pwoer profile of the pumps isn't high enough to trigger the relay in the DC8. If you check thge RC Neptune systems board, you will see they are working on a special TUNZE add on controller module for the ACIII/JR.

Hi jazzman,
Lets see if I can give you some help. 
I talked to Roger about this very same thing.  His anwser was that you can run the streams on the AC without any problem but to have them switch off and on no less than 20 min or it might damage the motor.  This was 2 months ago but I think that it still is true.  You want 6 hours so I’m sure it will be fine.

The code I used for 30 min with the AC is (NS is for Nanostream)
OCS  030/030 ON/THEN NS1 ON
OCS  030/030 ON/THEN NS2 OFF

For what you want the code would be,
OCS  360/360 ON/THEN NS1 ON
OCS  360/360 ON/THEN NS2 OFF

BUT, the AC will only go up to 255 (4 hours 15 min) not 360 (6 hours).

Hope that helps,
Jon

pgordemer said:
The pwoer profile of the pumps isn't high enough to trigger the relay in the DC8. If you check thge RC Neptune systems board, you will see they are working on a special TUNZE add on controller module for the ACIII/JR.

Yes, this will work (when it comes out) for any of the Stream pump that you can use a controller with but it will not work for the Nanostream 6025 or 6045 because they are not controllable (sp?) pumps.

demon16v said:
Hi jazzman,
Lets see if I can give you some help.
I talked to Roger about this very same thing. His anwser was that you can run the streams on the AC without any problem but to have them switch off and on no less than 20 min or it might damage the motor. This was 2 months ago but I think that it still is true. You want 6 hours so I’m sure it will be fine.

The code I used for 30 min with the AC is (NS is for Nanostream)
OCS 030/030 ON/THEN NS1 ON
OCS 030/030 ON/THEN NS2 OFF

For what you want the code would be,
OCS 360/360 ON/THEN NS1 ON
OCS 360/360 ON/THEN NS2 OFF

BUT, the AC will only go up to 255 (4 hours 15 min) not 360 (6 hours).

Hope that helps,
Jon

Thanks! I am going to try that out tomorrow and see what happens!