• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquahub ATO good idea?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hey guys,

I'm interested in an ATO setup. Was wondering if the $40 special from aquahub would do me right?

I have no problem putting the system together, as i'm pretty good w/ plumbing and electrical.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any experience.

THANKS!

damon

Hello there,

When it comes to ATO I firmly believe that this is an area you should not ever skimp on. I mean what is your peace of mind worth. I am not sure about the one you posted. But if you ever decide to get something really decent you might want to check this one out.

Tunze Aquarium Dosing Pump/System

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Looks like a nice setup, but SHEESH! $175? Add another $10 for shipping...

Not my kind of deal, there. I'm too cheap. For any more than $50, I'll just add water myself.

I understand that perhaps the float switches could wear out over time, but they're a $5 part, so they can just be replaced if they have issues.

Thanks for the input, though!

Sorry, no experience with the Aquahub.

I use my Aquacontroller Jr to topoff with Kalk and will be adding the one Ed posted as an upper limit cutoff.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We swear by the www.autotopoff.com ATOs. Just no experience with the brand you posted about. And rather than sound like a sales person for them...

We also use our AC to limit the frequency and duration that the pump is able to turn on over the course of the day. We set the AC to turn on the feed pump (plugged in through the ATO) for 1min, 6x a day. Our evap is over 6g a day and we feel this keeps the system as stable as possible while limiting our exposure to equipment failure.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Roger that! That's exactly what I needed to know.

I have an extra timer at home, as well as an extra MJ1200, some tubing, and a water container, so i think I will just buy the 2 switch on tank setup.

Thanks for the help!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
HA! Ok, well, no rush on that...they're on vacation till the 13th....lol. I need it before then, since i'm leaving town on the 13th, and that's the whole point of buying a unit right now.

DOH!

Subliminal said:
Hey guys,

I'm interested in an ATO setup. Was wondering if the $40 special from aquahub would do me right?

I have no problem putting the system together, as i'm pretty good w/ plumbing and electrical.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any experience.

THANKS!

damon

Sorry, I haven't seen this thread sooner. I have bought several float switches from aquahub 6-7 months ago and they are working fine so far. I have connected 2 of them in series with the relay to control my pump. If you are handy with the electrical work, you can set it up easy. Out of pocket cost is about 20$ plus power source for relay (I used old discarded AC/DC 9V converter) and top-off pump (at first I used the plain powerhead but when I connected my Kalk reactor to top-of water, I have started using the aqualifter). If you are interested, send me a note for more details. I even went "fancy" with it and added some LEDs that show me the status of the circuit 8)

thumb_540_31_07_07_12_16_23.jpg