• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Astrea Spawning?

So, about an hour ago I notice a ton of micro bubbles (so I thought), and I start freaking out, trying to find the source. Then, I see a snail spew out a cloud of white stuff, then I see others do the same thing within a few minutes of each other. Now it's snowing in my tank!

I assume they're releasing eggs, most of which I assume will end up in my filter sock or skimmer. Any chance any will hatch? How often will this happen? My tank is almost a year old, and this is the first time I've witnessed this.

Kind of cool, I think.

Tom

My cerith snails went on a spawning spree a couple of months ago. Now I have little white cones moving everywhere once the lights shut off. I'm just wondering how long till I have to start selling ceriths :0) Always a good sign when the critters start to breed.

BigRed said:
My cerith snails went on a spawning spree a couple of months ago. Now I have little white cones moving everywhere once the lights shut off. I'm just wondering how long till I have to start selling ceriths :0) Always a good sign when the critters start to breed.

i have heard of ceriths spawning (congrats!) - mine would just lay those squiggly eggs but nothing ever came from them before they were decimated for their shells by my blue-legged hermits.

Anyways - my only caveat here is - you are sure they are baby ceriths and not say rissoid snails or worse - pyramid snails?

I can't truely be certain, but the shells are long like the ceriths, not tall. We'll just have to wait and see i suppose. I had my fancy nassarius snails laying eggs on the substrate as well, and in an empty astrea shell. all about the wait and see