• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Baffles for a Sump

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A local glass shop will be able to cut them to the right size for you. Home Depot and Lowes used to do it but not sure if they still do.

Go to a glass store and ask them to cut you some glass. I tried Lowes glass and it was way too thin and it cracked. Just look in the yellow pages under glass.

I used plexi from home depot for my 10 gallon sump, I used All Glass Brand silicone to glue them in place. Here's a pic

000_0080.jpg

000_0084.jpg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used HD plexi glass too. I sealed it with GE Silicone I (100% silicone). I post a pic but it looks just like Tom's except dirtier ;D

just what they said i did too in my 20 gallon. 1/4" HD acrylic either GE 100% silicone (make sure it doesn't have like mold lock or else its no good) or aquarium silicone. You could get glass but its nice having the acrylic laying around for future things, and not sure but it could be more expensive.

Looks great.... Good job !! :eek:

Take a picture now that it is clean. Because that is the last it will be clean. I forgot what mine looked like new.

I used this method for my baffles.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffles.htm

This is what they looked like when finished. I have since added one more baffle which is an "under" between the return section and the refugium to act as a bubble trap. I also have an inhabitant in the refugium now.....a PJ that was getting picked on by my Royal Dottyback. There is lots of flow through the refugium but it is so gentle that the PJ is quite happy down there.

Aquariu0131.jpg