• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Beat lighting for a 125?

Hey folks, long time since I’ve been on here, and my tank shows it lol. Been a crazy busy year and I’m still sitting on an empty125 that Paulie hooked me up with and a ton of equipment I picked up over the year since. Last piece I need is a good light. Suggestions?

Looking to make it a good one-I have a couple of old t5’s I could play with but I want this reef to thrive. Always happy to find value but I want to stress quality

Hey folks, long time since I’ve been on here, and my tank shows it lol. Been a crazy busy year and I’m still sitting on an empty125 that Paulie hooked me up with and a ton of equipment I picked up over the year since. Last piece I need is a good light. Suggestions?

It’s been a long time buddy
Hope you and your family are doing well...
I have only used
AI sol led Old models
Kessil A150 ocean blue
And radions now.
IMO radions are by far the best one’s

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I had a 125 gallon tank. My old tank dimensions where
72 x 18 x 21 for me this was a great tank size.
I found these tank dimensions very easy to lights.
If you are going with a mixed reef tank. I used 3 x
Kessil 360we to light the tank. I upgraded to 3 x 360x
When they became available. Kessil lights are very good.
I am still using every light I have purchased from kessil.
The 360we are on my frag tanks. And the 360x are on my main display.

Your tank dimensions and what you plan on stocking is very important information.

My tank now I am mostly lps and soft corals with only a few sps. I personally like the instant gratification I get from a torch coral instead of waiting months for a sps frag to grow.

Last edited:
After seeing the aquatic life hybrid at @horseplay’s I think I’ll go with the 61” hybrid for this setup. It’s a 72” 125 gallon. Thanks!
It came with a glass cover but think I’ll switch over to a screen. Any feedback for or against?

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Glass will trap heat in and i would venture to guess reduce oxygen turnover although it will decrease evaporation. I also think glass dirties easier and may affect par but that's just an opinion. A screen will increase the evaporation rate quite a bit but will keep the tank cooler.

After seeing the aquatic life hybrid at @horseplay’s I think I’ll go with the 61” hybrid for this setup. It’s a 72” 125 gallon. Thanks!
It came with a glass cover but think I’ll switch over to a screen. Any feedback for or against?
I'm also considering changing from glass cover to screen as well. I'm more concerned about light penetration than evaporation, oxygen and heat retention. in my opinion (stand to be corrected), the skimmer and the open sump provide enough oxygen / gas exchange although evaporation will definitely be more with a screen. My heater has been off all spring / summer and my temps have been between 75 -77 F.