• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Beckett Skimmer - No Foam

I'm having a problem with my skimmer. I cleaned it today and when I turned the pump back on, I get no foam in the skimmer column. I checked the Beckett several times and it seems fine. The reason I get no bubbles is because as the water rises in the column, it starts to pour out of the air inlet port on the beckett. I can't understand how it would work before I cleaned it and afterwards it doesn't work. Can anyone help me?

Mike

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike,

Do you have a valve on the outlet of your skimmer? I know when I restart my skimmer, I have to shut of the ball valve on the pump and open it up slowly or else I have water shooting out everywhere.

hth

yea, same here. i have to open up the valve that lets water back into tank. otherwise it floods. did you clean the beckett valve by taking it apart. it is made out of 3 pieces or so.

Yes, I do have a valve on the outlet of the skimmer. I have to close it when I turn the pump back on or else the column won't fill. When the column initially fills up there is alot of foam, but as the water continues to rise, the foam starts to disappear and the eventually comes out the air inlet on the beckett. This one has me stumped. ???

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ya know, I meant to say outlet of the pump, not skimmer. Sorry! ::)
I would go with what Renee said, did you clean out the beckett? Do you have any pics of the skimmer?

ReefDrumz said:
Ya know, I meant to say outlet of the pump, not skimmer. Sorry! ::)
I would go with what Renee said, did you clean out the beckett? Do you have any pics of the skimmer?

No, I don't have a valve on the outlet of the pump. I only have one on the outlet of the skimmer. I did clean out the beckett. I found alot of little snails in there. Even after cleaning it out, I still have the same problem. I added some pictures in the Gallery. In one shot you can see how low the level of water is in the column. If I raise it any higher, the bubbles diappear and water starts to come out of the air inlet.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is your waster collector auto shut off? Is it possible that it is stuck in the "off" position?

It sounds like you aren't getting enough air in the skimmer. Did you check the air valve adjustment? Mine have gotten clogged before I used a small screwdriver to clean out the inside of it. Since then, I use a turkey baster and squeeze some water into the air injector once a week..this has helped with the clogging.

ReefDrumz said:
Is your waster collector auto shut off? Is it possible that it is stuck in the "off" position?

It sounds like you aren't getting enough air in the skimmer. Did you check the air valve adjustment? Mine have gotten clogged before I used a small screwdriver to clean out the inside of it. Since then, I use a turkey baster and squeeze some water into the air injector once a week..this has helped with the clogging.

Brian:
I checked the waste collector as well. It seem ok too.