• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bermuda Aquatics Skimmer Update

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I know there was some interest in an ASM skimmer thread that I started about my new Bermuda Aquatics BPS-5C skimmer, so here's a Week 1 update:

This skimmer produces skimmate better than anything I ever owned, which includes a Top Fathom (Venturi), AquaC EV-180 w/ Mag 9.5 (Spray injection) and an MTC HSA-250 (Beckett Type run by recommended Mag 9.5).

I am removing about a quart + per day (closer to maybe a half gallon) of "green tea" skimmate. Not the funky dark goodness that I hear a lot about, but this baby is foaming like mad. I am not sure whether this is the result of me having bumped up the stocking level of my 180, but the other skimmers I have owned were run on a heavily stocked 90. I will try to get the skimmate to be a bit drier, but there is nothing wrong with skimming wet.

There is a tremendous amount of swirling boiling foaming action near the base of the skimmer and the body of the skimmer is completely filled with white bubbles. Bubble size is a bit larger than I expected, but based on the way this thing is skimming, I really don't care what type of bubbles it produces, as long as it pulls gunk!

That is it for now.

Herb

You'll be able to dial it in a little better in another week or two to skim drier as it breaks in, if you want to. Once it gets a little film inside you're set.

I agree there is nothing wrong with skimming wet and do it myself. I don't do water changes "per say" on my system but skim out 4-5 gallons a day of nasty dark green colored skimmate which allows me to put 4 to 5 gallons of fresh salt water back in a day which is like a mini water change every day.

Just keep in mind the wetter you skim the more "salt" you are pulling out of the system which over time can lower your salinity so you might need to adjust it from time to time or use slightly salty top-off water to replace both evaporation water and skimmate.

These little skimmers are beasts aren't they?

Carlo

Herb, nice to hear another Bermuda success story. I use a few different Bermuda Aquatics skimmers. I run the BPS-3C, 5C and 8C. I'm also running the old style HOT Archipelago skimmer. I love them. They are a fantastic skimmer for the price range they're in. Build quality is fantastic, performance is right up there (just wait till yours breaks in, like Carlo said).

swimmer

Herb
are you running it insump or external and what type of pump ? thanks for the update . I would love to get one now for my 210 but have to wait a bit .

HerbieK

NJRC Honorary Member
NJRC Member
I am running mine in the sump with a Mag 12. This is what the friendly folks at Something Fishy recommended and they gave me 25% off on the pump!

Herb

Herb,
You're running a great skimmer. Unfortunately, I think you're running a pump that's 'too much' for that model skimmer. I've run the 3C with a Mag 9.5. That was way too much. I was pumping clear water into the collection cup at the lowest setting on the slide tube.

I changed the Mag 9.5 to a Mag 7 and it optimized the output.

The 5C would work much more efficiently with a Mag 9.5. The Mag 12 won't permit you to adjust the wet/dry skimmate production nearly as precise as the Mag 9.5.

I know you said you like to skim wet. You'll be able to with the Mag 9.5 also, just raise the slide tube. The problem is, you won't be able to run your skimmate drier if you want to with the Mag 12 on there. All you're doing is limiting your options.

Russ

masterswimmer said:
Herb,
You're running a great skimmer. Unfortunately, I think you're running a pump that's 'too much' for that model skimmer. I've run the 3C with a Mag 9.5. That was way too much. I was pumping clear water into the collection cup at the lowest setting on the slide tube.

I changed the Mag 9.5 to a Mag 7 and it optimized the output.

The 5C would work much more efficiently with a Mag 9.5. The Mag 12 won't permit you to adjust the wet/dry skimmate production nearly as precise as the Mag 9.5.

I know you said you like to skim wet. You'll be able to with the Mag 9.5 also, just raise the slide tube. The problem is, you won't be able to run your skimmate drier if you want to with the Mag 12 on there. All you're doing is limiting your options.

Russ

You can adjust the mag 9.5??????? I have one on my skimmer and I never knew this! I am going to have to look for that the next time I clean it out.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jazzsam said:
You can adjust the mag 9.5??????? I have one on my skimmer and I never knew this! I am going to have to look for that the next time I clean it out.

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant that the skimmer would be adjustable with a 9.5 where it wouldn't be adjustable with the 12.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
jazzsam said:

I don't think he meant that. I think he meant that the skimmer would be adjustable with a 9.5 where it wouldn't be adjustable with the 12.

I believe your right Phyl. The 12 most likely puts out too much to be anything but a wet skimmer unless you used a ball valve or something to choke it back. At that point you might as well use a smaller pump like the suggested 9.5.

Phyl, Rich......both right. Thanks. I guess my initial post was unclear.

The Mag 12 just puts out too much flow. Even at the lowest skimmer setting the skimmate is going to be excessively wet.

The Mag 9.5 itself is not adjustable. However the BPS-3C can be tuned in to skim drier with a smaller pump attached to it (mag 9.5).

Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain thinks ???

Russ