• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best Magnetic Algae Cleaner?

Just wondered if anyone had a favorite type of magnetic algae cleaner? For me the mag floats have been virtually useless. I have a handmade tiny cleaner called the Nimble which works pretty good on my aquapod (thin glass) but can't do anything on my thick oceanic tanks. Best I've used in the cheapo range is some off brand purchased at Walmart which has sort of a felt like material on the inside and outside... but of course it doesn't float and still doesn't do that great of a job.

I saw these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1 and wondered if they are really worth the price? I hate to spend that much on a algae magnet (although I'm sure there are plenty even more expensive) but I also value my time and shirt sleeves and am tired of needing to stand on a chair while trying to use a scraper or pad myself LOL

Thanks for any experiences!

Hey Candi:

I have had pretty good luck with the mag floats on my 90, and on my previous 55. They do tend to need replacing pretty quickly if you have rapid algae build up.

Check out http://www.reefgadgets.com (produced by our very own RichT!) for the add-on scraper for the mag float. I think you will find that will solve your problem relatively in-expensively!

mfisher2112 said:
Hey Candi:

I have had pretty good luck with the mag floats on my 90, and on my previous 55. They do tend to need replacing pretty quickly if you have rapid algae build up.

Check out http://www.reefgadgets.com (produced by our very own RichT!) for the add-on scraper for the mag float. I think you will find that will solve your problem relatively in-expensively!

Are you talking about the coralline algae or green algae? For coraline algae, all magnetic scrappers are going to be inefficient, and you would better do to use something like this http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc..._Code=KENT-PROSCL&Category_Code=Algaecleaners (with metallic blade)

If for green algae, why would you need to replace the cleaners? Granted, the plastic teeth will get clogged by scrapped matter and maybe coated a bit by Ca precipitation and/or coraline algae, but then, you can use one of those tough plastic brushes for washing dishes or kitchens/bathrooms to, every now and then, scrap that material out of the cleaner. My mag float is more then year old and is still doing a good job on my 75gal.

I have yet to find a magnetic algae scraper that works any better than the old fashion, been around 50 years, razor blade algae scraper. Yes, you'll get your hand wet, but it really takes off algae, even coralline. One downside is that you can not use it on an acrylic tank.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
a $15 dollar mag float with a $15 dollar reefgadget attached. You won't find a better/easier/efficient algae getting combination available. No matter what the color of the algae. I have taken coriline algae off that was at least 1/16" thick and over a year old.(there is a video floating around somewhere) With a plastic razor blade, you can do an acrylic tank as well. There is also a product called The Easy Blade that is basically the same thing but there is no plastic blade available.

DaveK said:
I have yet to find a magnetic algae scraper that works any better than the old fashion, been around 50 years, razor blade algae scraper. Yes, you'll get your hand wet, but it really takes off algae, even coralline. One downside is that you can not use it on an acrylic tank.

ReefDrumz showed me cool way how to use the metal edge scrappers even on acrylic - by bending the edges.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup, that works great for me. But I also use the Tiger Shark Magnet w/ReefGadget for everyday cleaning...or is that every week? Ok, every 2 weeks lol.

That line of magnets are great. They have replacement pads so when it gets a little worn, you just replace all the pads...takes about 5 minutes (if that)

I also have a Hammerhead -- I love it. It takes off coralline if you get it when it's first starting. I clean my glass every 2-4 days with it and it's fantastic. I purchase replacement pads every 6 months or so.

Seems like maybe I should cough up the extra money and try one since I haven't been thrilled with the mag floats before.

Would you guys recommend the Piranha or the Hammerhead for my 70g Oceanic tank? I'm not positive how thick the glass is (and no idea where a tape measure or ruler are at the time) but it's about 4yrs old if that helps guage how thick of glass they were using.

Thank you for the continued opinions :)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You would probably be fine with the Piranha, but personally I would step up to the Hammerhead. If you ever upgrade again, you wouldn't need to buy a bigger magnet.

I would use the suggestions on the their website for tank size. If you get a magnet toooo large it will have a huge pull through the glass and be more difficult to move. I'm not sure that a one size step up would be a problem, but I'm pretty sure that a two size step up would be!

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the Piranha yesterday since I want to use it on my 30g & 70g Oceanic. Getting it from Drs Foster Smith since they have such a great return policy (don't like it, send it back) as long as it works well I'll be ordering a reefgadget to go along with it. Rich I sent your link to a guy from RC with a magnavore (sp?)too, they look great thank you for designing/selling them!