• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Binder Clip fell in tank...

My daughter was up near the tank and said that the seaweed needed another clip and before I knew what was happening, she dropped a small black binder clip in the tank. And as Murphy would have it, it trickled down into an unreachable part of the tank, as I watched it fall like the Plinko ball on the Price is Right, I said, to myself, ahh, just great.

Ok, what are the implications here? Advise is always appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm thinking it will rust if you leave it there. That just can't be good. I'd be pulling the rockwork apart. Sorry. The silver part is stainless and won't be a problem. The black part will either chip paint or rust (or both). Wonder if a mag will pull it close for you?

Damn, not what I wanted to hear.

I tried to blow it with a Tunze and nothing. It fell down and is at the bottom of the tank wedged against the rock.

Will see if I can snake a mechanics magnet in there.

How big is your tank? Do you have a nice sized fuge with macros in it? Stainless will oxidize in saltwater over several years... I work in the Gulf of Mexico on production platforms. We have lots of rusted stainless here... It just takes longer than normal to rust. If you have a large enough water volume it would seem that the Corps of Engineers motto "the solution to pollution is dilution" might come into effect and you would be ok. I had a penny in my 150 for two years and it never caused a problem...I had two 55 gallon fuges filed with macros though so who knows...

Let's see... rusted metal. That is what ferrous oxide? That should be removed by macros huh? Good luck to you. I hope you can get it without havng to take the rockwork down.

I know I would most likely real stressed about it too. We put so much energy and love into our "living art" and I hate to hear of anything bad happening to another reefer. Keep us updated.

Have you tried a coat hanger? You may be able to get it with that, plus you can bend it to get around rocks. You can also use the rod off of venetian blinds, tape a magnet on it, and see if you can reach it with that. I have a 4 yr old, so I know how things seem to just fall in the tank, lol. Cars, screws, money in my wet/dry, have to check things every day. Ahhhh, the privilege of being a parent, lol.

edwin

Joe,

I've got some strong magnets I can lend you if you need them. They aren't attached to anything, but you can tape, glue...

I can stop by tonight after 10 or tomorrow morning if that helps

LMK

Red

Brett, I'd like to thank you for the offer. Its real nice knowing that there are always people around to help out. One of the really nice things about this club.

Well I got it out. Using ideas from others here, I made myself a "Frankenstein" do hicky . I took a piece if the refrigerator water tube, its white and a bit more rigid than that normal 1/8 tubing. Took some electic tape and taped a long magnet I ripped out of one of my kids letter magnets. I got lucky when I looked at it, one of my fish or shrimp moved it out from being wedged under the live rock. Slipped it in the tank, snaked it down and grabbed it. Worked my way up and after about 5 minutes its out.

Thank you everyone for the insight.

Oh by the way Jase, 180 tank, 20 gallon fuge, and 60 gallon sump total of 260 gallons not factoring in for live rock displacement.

As much of a hardache our children are, all it takes is one smile on my face from something she did and I forget all that was done.

Hey Joe,

Glad it worked out.

I remember your daughter from the time I came to get the torch frag. She's so cute I'd forgive her if she dropped bowling balls into my tank! ;D

Thanks for ruining my day ;D I've had one deep within my rock work for about 3 weeks now and figured it was plastic no worries ::)guess it's time to go fishing.