• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bit concerned my clown is too skinny

Some bits of info:

1. The tank is about 6 weeks old. Confirmed cycled at Reefco. Used Live Reef Rubble from Aquabiomics and Dr. Tim's One and Only
2. Cheeto (my clownfish) has been in the tank about a month. Purchased at RAP NYC. At the time my only inhabitant.
3. I added some pods two weeks ago donated from a generous member on here
4. I went away for a week and came home and noticed Cheeto was a bit skinny.
5. Last week I was told my salinity was low 30.5, after calibrating my pen I have slowly getting this number higher. As of yesterday, my salinity is 33.7. My goal is 40.6
-added 6 hermit crabs (5 now, 1 died), 4 ast. snails and 1 emerald crab (all from Reefco)
6. I am feeding SA Dry Hatchery 1.2M once a day (now twice a day since July 26th) via Auto feeder. Neptune/Reef Nutrition CD pellets as well. Frozen I am using Mysys Shrimp.
- His fav is the SA as they are smaller, the CD is a bit larger so more difficult, and the mysys is his least. Current feeding is SA, CD or Mysys, SA.
7. Tmrw (friday the 5th) I am getting a riccordea shrum and a zoa frag.

My build thread can be found HERE
My log can be found HERE

I can see a "belly" on Cheeto and there is a dark area where I assume is his guts. But after that it tapers off and he is thin. I can clearly see a bone/spine/line that goes down his side. My fear is if he has some parasite consuming his nutrients. He is willing and does eat any time there is food. He is actively hunting. And to add toss more crap at the fan.. I'm leaving for a week on Sunday.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Gaspare

@Humblefish thank you for your reply, I'm grateful for any advice you offer, you have done amazing work for the reefing community. I will read them all but I quickly looked at 1 & 2. His poop is not white and to be honest, earlier I was thinking just how colorful he is.

He eats like a pig, swims graceful and is very alert. It's been now a few days where I am feeding him more often. This week I upped it to 3 feedings. Looking at him now his "belly" is fat but the top half (split horizontal) and rear are thin. If he was a human, he is the body builder that only does Arm workouts (lol), with thin legs and back.

I will continue to monitor, as long as he is eating, has brown poop and vibrant colors. If something on that list rings a bell, I will investigate further.

Thank you again so much for your time!

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
@Humblefish thank you for your reply, I'm grateful for any advice you offer, you have done amazing work for the reefing community. I will read them all but I quickly looked at 1 & 2. His poop is not white and to be honest, earlier I was thinking just how colorful he is.

He eats like a pig, swims graceful and is very alert. It's been now a few days where I am feeding him more often. This week I upped it to 3 feedings. Looking at him now his "belly" is fat but the top half (split horizontal) and rear are thin. If he was a human, he is the body builder that only does Arm workouts (lol), with thin legs and back.

I will continue to monitor, as long as he is eating, has brown poop and vibrant colors. If something on that list rings a bell, I will investigate further.

Thank you again so much for your time!
It probably wouldn't hurt to lace his food with General Cure for a couple of weeks, just in case parasites or worms are inside the intestines...

Using a shot glass:

1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (General Cure)
1-2 scoops Seachem Focus (makes it reef safe + binds the medication)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.
Feed daily for 2-3 weeks, or until poop returns to a solid brown or green color (no white).

Well, this sucks.

He has white pimples on his face now (2-3) and a brownish spot above his fin next to gill. His poop is now white and not a solid sting (think diarrhea). I have been running the UV 24/day for last 5 days.

@Humblefish

1) should I proceed with this General Cure food treatment?
2) I think (I have no experience) it's Marine Ich from reading your site.
-Is there a way to know for certain?
-Should I do the TTM?
-I only have 1 fish, a 5 hermit crabs, 4 snails, 1 mushroom, 1 5 head zoa

Is there anyway of treating this in the display tank vs the TTM as I do not have much stock.

Thank you in advance,
Gaspare

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
@Gaspipe1 Can you post some pics showing the pimples & brown spot?

Assuming its not Ich or some other parasite, combining Kanaplex + Metroplex seems to resolve certain oddball disease issues that clownfish sometimes get.

@Gaspipe1 Can you post some pics showing the pimples & brown spot?

Assuming its not Ich or some other parasite, combining Kanaplex + Metroplex seems to resolve certain oddball disease issues that clownfish sometimes get.
I just posted a decent pic and video. I will try later to get a shot of the white pimples. Once you have an idea of how to treat, please post a link?

So far I have 3 options:
1. TTM
2. General Cure Feeding Method
3. your newest advice... Kanaplex and Metroplex.

Thank you so much again!!
Gaspare

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
For the white poop, you should treat with GC in the food.
I agree. Here is my recipe for food soaking dewormers:
  • 1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • 1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (General Cure)
  • 1-2 scoops Seachem Focus (makes it reef safe + binds the medication)
  • A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
  • A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
  • Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
  • Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
  • Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
  • You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.
  • Feed daily for 2-3 weeks, or until poop returns to a solid brown or green color (no white).

I agree. Here is my recipe for food soaking dewormers:
  • 1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • 1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (General Cure)
  • 1-2 scoops Seachem Focus (makes it reef safe + binds the medication)
  • A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
  • A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
  • Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
  • Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
  • Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
  • You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.
  • Feed daily for 2-3 weeks, or until poop returns to a solid brown or green color (no white).
I started this last night for the first time. Will do it twice a day for 3 weeks.

Well it's been two weeks so far, Cheeto seems happy/healthy but his poop is still like diarrhea. Small blasts and not 100% sure but may still be white (def not brown).

I may try something a bit different. I will mix all the dry ingredients, and then take some out and mix w/ tank water for 30 min in a shot glass... pour. In a week if not long brown I'll be back for some other advice... perhaps try the 2nd food mixture your site recommends.

Thank you again!
Gaspare