• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Black box LED comparison

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ignore my previous comments regarding this, as I'm only commenting on capitalism and the need for businesses to make profit.
When I was in practice for myself and folks would ask about other medical professionals, my go to line was, 'Wow, the medical community didn't think they'd ever re-instate his/her malpractice insurance'.
If I knew the doc they were asking about, I'd take it easy on them and say, "Oh, I guess he/she isn't contagious anymore'.

I have had a few black boxes.
I set them up temporary when I moved and I was surprised at the par I was getting.

my go to box at the moment is this one
Relassy. It doesn’t have a timer but the spectrum and spread on a frag tank is great.

Relassy Aquarium Led Light 800W, Dimmable Coral Reef Light for Saltwater Aquarium Fish Tank, Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Plant Light with Daisy Chain Function https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082CWDPVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pVasFbY6ZQWXMView attachment 31063
I will say this light you posted looks very interesting.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Perhaps because they are comparing apples to oranges. But they gave every fact we needed. Can’t see were they lied gave false or misleading information. In fact. I felt they were generous with there information given the fact that they don’t support sell or profit from them. At least as far as I’m concerned I now have the data to make an informed decision But even without that data. We know the lights grow coral :) And in the end. That is what matters.
It’s not Apple to oranges.
They are both leds and that’s what they want you to think. I am in sales and I pick up on a lot of things that most people don’t.
I am always looking for what they don’t say.
What they do say and what they don’t mention. They are selling and BRS is for profit. So they care about their bottom line.
Right now I know that Amazon monster has taken a big chunk of their business.
these lights and jaebo pumps are the enemy of BRS.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I will say this light you posted looks very interesting.
I am using it right now and for a no frills light it’s working well. The par is better than any other black box that I have owned.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I only ran black box leds. You get what you pay for. Yes, they grow coral just fine.
Personally I don't see the need for expensive lights. That being said I believe there is a difference. I had zoas one time and traded a member. When I saw them under his lights totally different than under mine.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So this is what I am talking about.
the BRS doser has the same Ce rating
Like the black boxes have.
no one is say that this can catch on fire or dangerous.

this a good example of a product that they make that’s a cheaper alternative to the
$300 DOS system.
so if some one wants to start dosing they can buy this for a fraction of the price.

the reason why I am showing you this is because BRS could easily get a chines black box under the BRS label and sell it cheap and provide the hobby with a low cost solution like this doser but they choose not to.

Attachments

• 365AFAA8-ECDA-42C3-8979-24022F4649DF.png
    365AFAA8-ECDA-42C3-8979-24022F4649DF.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 5

Salted

NJRC Member
If this hobby required $1k+ lights I wouldn't be in it. So far *disclaimer- newbie here, my opinion means very little* we are growing beginner corals very successfully. A duncan that has tripled in size and gone from 1 head to 5, a kenyan tree, a toadstool, a bunch of zoas and a couple hammers. Everything we've added is colorful and growing. Again, nothing that's gonna impress the experts, but we are very happy with how we are doing. We started with a $70 Beamsworks light an added a controller to it for $14., and when we added a fowlr tank the beamsworks light went on that and I got a Coralife Seascape Amazon.com : Coralife Seascape LED 48-54, Black : Pet Supplies for the mixed reef tank and things continue to go great. I looked at the Viparspectra, but they recommend two small fixtures over a 48 and they're not daisychain-able and need to be set up separately, so for simplicitys' sake the single coralife won. Funny part is the coralife allows more adjustment then I know how to make use of lol.