• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blue Legged Murderers.

Hello All,
Got a deal on 50 snails via Ebay, there were delivered about 3 days after I bought them, drop them in my tank after acclimating them and they all survived. An hour later I went to check to see how they were doing and in the front of my tank there were 3 blue legged hermits, each one had a snail turned over and was eating it, they got relagated to the QT, and as I find more BLH they will be gone as well, over the past 4 years I have added at least 200 snails to my tank, I wondered why I rarely see them, I am feeding the hermits. I will stick to the scarlet hermits from now on and not quibble about the cost.
Have agreat week.
Mike.

:( The bitter cost of experience :(
Lesson learned; Our tiny replications of marine biotopes with only a few gallons of H2O compared with the trillions out in the open leave no room for error. Gotta do your home work first.
Boris.

Ok every hermit MUST kill snails, its the only way to accomidate the need for a shell when they outgrow their curent shell. I throw handfuls of differant sized empty shells into all my tanks and seriouly mabey lost 4 snails ever to a powerhead, and I have a 2 1/2" wide Electic Blue from Marshall Islands about 15 blues and 1 scarlet. Dan

Dan,
My substrate consists of nothing but empty shells so there should be no reason for the hermits to kill the snails for their shells, there are least a few hundred "hermit crab accomodations" for them to be had at will. I even saw one of my hermits sporting a nice shiny bumble bee snail shell.
Mike.