• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bristleworm Trap

Does anyone have experience with a Coralife Bristleworm Trap?

I have a rather large worm in my tank an would like to find a way to remove him.

Any ideas??

Kenny Z.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry Kenny... I have no experience with bristleworm traps.. I happen to like them! :)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How large and why would you want to get rid of him? Their beneficial

Is that the green one? I bought one from dfs that was garbage... not only did it not catch the scary monster worm in my tank (more in a second) but it didn't even catch the small ones.

I don't worry about the little guys at all as everyone says, however if your big one is anything like the one I had I don't blame you for wanting it out. I had a very large blue/purple worm in one of the rocks in my tank. Closest ID I could get was some sort of fireworm (ie was told it had a nastier sting then a normal bristle and grew much larger etc)... good for the tank or not it was huge and had to come out, ended up having to pull the rock and use hypersalinity to drive it out, even then he came out in pieces with the help of tweezers ::shudders::

Good Luck!

He is pink...
About 14" when streched out.
Maybe I have not identified him correctly, but it has "Bristles" along the entire length of his body.
It comes out at feeded time and normally trys to snag a pellet or two.
Do I have anything to worry about? I hear they may eat my clam, or pick at the corals if they do not find the food they need.

Kenny Z.

Smalls one are good for the tank but a couple of the larger species will eat clams and corals try the stocking ! Take a piece of shrimp or krill,place the bait in a old piece of stocking/pantyhose
place it in tank after lights out, worms brittles get stuck in stocking it can't escape remove in morning. It actually works !!

LMK what happens
Al

I can sympathize with candi - I used have a few mantis shrimp (the smaller kind from the gulf of mexico with hammers/not spears) and had to use the "take the rock out / pour water into burrow" technique.

I have to warn you - if you try this - do not be surprised at how fast the critter will fly out. It freaked me out...lol.

Anyways - take a look at this article, might be too deep but it offers an excellent analysis on identification and such. Dr. Ron's worm's were 4 feet in length so yours is still a baby (lol...).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php