• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brittle Star

Just bought a brown brittle star today as part of my cleanup crew. I have a ten gallon nano. Anyway, I added him and he quickly moved into a cave and then towards the back of the tank where he curled into a little ball and has not moved since. I have no experience with these little guys, and I'm wondering if this is normal behavior. He's been there for about 4 hours now, and I would like to get to him and maybe pick him up to see if he's moving, but unfortunately the rock formation is preventing me from doing so. Thanks very much for the help.

how did you acclimate him? anytime you add a serpant or brittle star they usually go right for the closest hole/darkness. give him a little time and then go after him..

I hope so, I really do. I just floated the bag for awhile and periodically added a little water. It does seem as if he is in a pretty secluded place right now so I'm hoping that you're right.

Stars as like all inverts are very sensitive to changes, so they must be acclimated slowly. If the change was too quick it may still be in shock. But like ds4x4 said, normally stars will stay in the dark.

To see if it moves, add some shrimp pellets or like near him and see if he moves for them.