• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brown jelly on my monti cap...

I came home yesterday to find my 12" round monti cap partially deccimated by brown jelly. What I thought had been a patch of sand in the middle of it in the morning obviously was not.

Everything that I've read says to frag it down as far as I can, but I'm not sure how to do it with this thing. It's huge and growing up the back wall of my tank.

I've also read that an iodine dip may work but there is no way to remove this monster to dip it. Is it possible to treat the entire tank with iodine?

So far I've blown away the jelly and placed my Hydor to blow more directly on it, as suggested a few places on RC. I'm about to do a water change as well.

I'm very worried as I leave tomorrow evening for 7 days and the hubby is in charge of the tank while I'm gone. I'm terrified that I'll return to no corals at all in my tank :'(

The advice you read is correct, frag what is good, and try to save it.

An iodine dip may help on the good frags, and it's worth a try on the bad sections, but put the bad sections in a QT tank.

Do not attempt to treat the entire tank with iodine. Never ever medicate a reef system. In my opinion there is no such thing as a reef safe med, no matter what is said on the bottle and no matter what your LFS says.

I went out and bought a dremel today and did surgery on the cap. I now have a significantly smaller colony (it was 15 inches in diameter and is now about 6 or 7) along with several smaller frags. Hopefully they'll all be alive when I get back next week. If everything is doing well I'll have a lot of frags for sale/trade.

john, I'll be bacK saturday morning. I'll let you known on monday what's up. If one of those frags don't make it I have several LARGE (4-6" frags that I would be willing to sell/trade/frag to smaller size for you. I'll drop you a line when I get back.