• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BRS Hybrid Balling Method

Adam L

NJRC Member
ESV B Ionic was out of stock a few weeks back. My alk was dropping. Upped dosing conservatively but I was just guessing. Cleaned my dosing lines just in case. But I was still falling behind. Tank (130 gal) has lots of big colonies now. Found BRS calculator and figured out through testing that my tank was now consuming 1.3 dkh daily. I hadn’t tested Ca and Mg since I set the tank up in March ‘22. Both were low but not by much; I typically do weekly 20% water changes. In doing my research on my alk, I found the BRS hybrid balling method. I just started it Wednesday. I’ll let you know how it goes. Also started doing carbon dosing with some biofuel.

john90009

NJRC Member
With the esv, me and a few other uses saw elevated lithium, bromide and strontium that we think was coming from the esv and may end up going back to making my own 2part with brs stuff so I don’t have elevated from that.

Adam L

NJRC Member
Done some testing and finding that I’m getting swings in alk of .9 dkh from morning to evening now that I’m dosing 110ml daily cover the 1.3 dkh daily consumption. I was dosing alk all at night in two doses an hour apart. The night dosing was based on stuff I read and it was how I’ve always done it. I decided to spread all doses of alk, Ca and Prt C 12 hours apart in two does each (6 total). I think that will smooth things out.