• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble algae

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
What does bubble algae look like? When my actinics are on I see bubbles on the LR. They are kind of clear though. How do I get rid of this stuff if that's what it is?

Mark

bubble algae can actually look like a lot of things

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

However, if you are seeing bubbles on your rock there is a good chance that all it is, is air bubbles that have gotten trapped in your diatom bloom. A few snails grazing in that area should knock those bubbles out quick. Unfortunately if it looks more like the above images well.. you need to locate the source of your algae problems and correct it. Good luck!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mynd,
Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like the pics. It definitely round and clear. I will assume its air bubbles for now and see if it goes away or gets worse.

Mark

MAVL666 said:
What does bubble algae look like? When my actinics are on I see bubbles on the LR. They are kind of clear though. How do I get rid of this stuff if that's what it is?

Mark
Valona bubble algae are green, so if yours are clear, small (up to 1/4"), on the LR that is not covered with moss-like or hair-like gren/brown/red algae (cyano bacteria), then it is most probable that these are microbubbles captured on the LR. Source of microbubbles can be your skimmer or splashing of the return water from the overflow into the sump, or air captured in the overflow return pipe, to mention the main ones. If on the other hand, if your LR is covered with cyanobacteria, than these bubbles can be the gass exchange from the bacterias.