• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble tip anemone trouble

Well I started out with one nice sized anemone that eventually grew into a large problem (my clowns would argue that point). I have reluctantly tolerated its ever expanding body for some time now. Just recently it decided to split, doubling my problem. I was "playing" in the tank tonight and realized that I now have three! Help! How can I get rid of these? What do I do with them? The rocks they have chosen to call home are, of course, in the middle of the reef and loaded with other valuable SPS corals. Does anyone want them? Free to a good home and anyone with the ability to get them out.

Lance - if you want this to be for sale post- we can move it over there (please post a location).

but if you are asking how to move them (which you will need to know if you want to sell it without selling your SPS covered rock) -there was a thread a while back about moving anemones from LR - I believe one person suggested aiming a powerhead directly at the foot of the anemone. Supposedly using ice was not a good idea as it damaged the tissue.

Good luck!

Rafal,

I bought it as a Entacmaea quadricolor. It (well, they now) is basically a cream color.

Phil, thanks for the info. I will search for that post. My intention is two part. I want to figure out how to remove them and then give them away.

That makes it/them a bubble tip if all the info I can find is correct. I've never used ice or a power head....just been very gentle and tickled its foot and they generally will let go with a gentle amount of prodding. Just hope you don't have a large maroon clownfish protecting it at the time....that tends to make things a bit more difficult.

I have had to move my bubble once after coming back from vacation....he hadn't moved in 6 months and then while I was away he goes for a stroll around the tank.

Anyway if you get them off let me know....would be interested in one depending on where you are located

That only works if they haven't buried themselves all the way down into the rock which BTAs love to do. Be patient. Turn the rock he's on around, upside down, etc. Make it so he wants to move and then just be ready for when he does leave.

I appriciate the advice, but the situation is complicated. I can't move the rock they have chosen (it very large) without toppling my reef. Unfotunatly, I do also have a large maroon clown that gets very aggressive whit me. I never thought I'd be afraid of a little clown fish. I will make another attempt this weekend. If I get them off, they are free to anyone who can pick them up in extreme South Jersey.

lanceb13 said:
If I get them off, they are free to anyone who can pick them up in extreme South Jersey.
whats extreme south jersey for you? I can see the Delaware Mem. Bridge from here

edit:nvm my ? i see your from Cape May

I had a maroon clown - she was huge and had this incessant urge to bite LR (to hold herself in place) and wave her tail furiously at the sand. Like she was treasure hunting (or building a clean spot for a nest). When we added a condylactis (don't try this at home kids...wrong species from the wrong ocean) she became a terror and defacto claimed all area around said anemone as hers. Good luck this weekend!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just had my GBTA split also into 3. I used a small screwdriver to dig under the surface of the lr (still attached to the anemone). Worked like a charm. The last time I used a powerhead and ice and it took me a couple of hours, this time it took 15 minutes (included fending off my irate clown).

Bob

I had the same problem with a RBTA, I took a smaller piece of live rock and crowded the anemone :eek:, when it moved a little I moved the rock closer,we did this about three or four times ::) it finally came out of the hole it was in and I was able to lift it off and relocate it ;) Good luck Dave

Magic, do I understand you correctly? You chiseled off a piece of LR underneath the anenome? That is genious if it can be done underwater with a small tool in one hand. I am going to try that this weekend.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I used a turkey baster. I mixed ice with the salt water to make it cool, not cold. I would then put the rock upside with nem in the water. I would then blow the cool water on the foot and it eventually released. I would take one off you hand but you'er to far.