• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bulk Head Measurements - Need sizes

Hello there,

I am going to be drilling some holes. I would really like to know EXACT measurements rather then suggested hole drilling sizes below. Can anyone tell me the exact hole sizes to drill for the bulk heads below. Also, the 1" and the 1.5" bulk heads are going to have PVC Street L 90's threaded on them. Can anyone tell me the length in inches from the opening of one side of the elbow to the curve? I need exact measurements please.

Bulkhead 1.5 inch

1.5" bulk head fitting.
Approx. 2" thread depth.
1.5" PVC pipe will glue into the backside.
Front size is threaded, 1.5FPT.
Nipple or MPT fitting will thread into the front side.
Back socket is standard depth, slip socket.
Wall thickness up to 2".

Hole saw size is 2-1/2"

Front flange diameter is 3-1/2".

Backside threads 2.35" OD, (Gasket is 2.5" ID, 3.125" OD) Very heavy duty fitting.

Bulkhead 1 inch

1" bulk head fitting.
Front, flange side is threaded approx.
1" FPT. It's a loose fit, but if you wrap some extra teflon tape on the male part and if the pressure isn't too much, you can get a good seal.
Back side is stand 1" slip socket, about 1" deep.
Wall thickness up to 1-3/4".

Hole saw size is 1-5/8 to 2"

Front flange diameter is 2-1/2"

Bulkhead 3/4 inch

3/4" bulk head fitting.
Front is threaded, and will fit, 3/4 pipe thread, but it's a loose fit.
If you wrap some extra teflon tape on the male part and if the pressure isn't too much, you can get a good seal.
Back side is standard 3/4" slip socket.
Wall thickness up to 1-3/4".

Hole saw size is 1-5/8 to 2"

Front flange diameter is 2-1/2". Heavy duty fitting

I am designing a blueprint for a new tank and I would really appreciate the feedback and information on drilling the holes the proper size. I have to assume that if you are off by an 1/8 in either direction it won't be easy to seal or cut. What bothers me most is the dimension for the 1" and the 3/4" as they are stated to be the same hole size approximately. Please let me know.

I appreciate your time and help.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think Aquatic Eco systems has spec diagrams on their fittings.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When we had the tank drilling demo @ JasonR's meeting we traced the the bulkhead right on the glass. If you have access to them, you can measure the diamter of the threaded part of the bulkhead that the nut screws on to.

Thanks for the information guys.. unfortunately RichT I can't find anything over there with specs.. and unfortunately Brian I don't have any otherwise I would not be making a bother asking anyone else. I wish I did have them in my mits :D.

Still looking for information from anyone that might have the following bulkheads in a box some place. Would really appreciate if you could measure it up for me. ThankX!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mynd, not all bulkheads of a given size require the same whole. Schedule 80 bulkheads require a different size hole than Schedule 40. Even bulkheads from different manufacturers can sometimes require different size holes.

Your best bet is to get the bulkheads in hand and then have the holes drilled to fit them.

I wanted to try and get a more specific size cause the 3/4 and the 1" have the same dimension hole and that seems wrong. Could the bulkhead just be thicker in size and have a smaller hole but be the same size as the 1" bulkhead? Don't know.

On another note, should I get the top quality bulkheads or should I get the economy bulkheads from that place RichT?

I am sure you are correct PAN, but for my sketch I just wanted to have the proper dimensions.

myndtankrc3.jpg

i have 3 hole saws have never had problems with bulkheads fitting the following hole sizes, and i have ordered and purchased them from various aquarium stores and online vendors. 3/4in bulkhead = 1 3/8 hole. 1in bulkhead= 1 3/4 hole. 1 1/2 inch bulkhead = 2 1/2 inch hole. and i always use double threaded bulkheads so they can be reused. hope this helps

Thanks for the information.. I had most of the information. But the information I was given on the 3/4 was 1.5" not 1 3/8's. I have used your information as it seems to keep the hole a nice tight fit. Please check out my sketch and let me know if there are any ?'s or concerns.

myndtankrc4.jpg

Thanks again!