• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Calcium Reator setup

hi everyone,
I am planning to get a calcium reactor up for hard coral and also keep my tank PH stable. I would like to know what equipment do i need? any decent price recommend equipments can anyone recommend?
thanks
Olivier

whoa, I need to run both Calcium reactor + Kalk reactor + Carbon Dioxide in order to keep hard coral?
I need some pictures or some draw to illustrate of the calcium reactor setup so I get some ideal of what type/kind of equipments i need.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Heres a pic of my CA reactor. I don't think you need something this big. What size is your tank? CA Reactor, CO2 tank, and solenoid valve on the tank.

IMG_0008.jpg

I have the same one Mike has but made by MRC instead of MTC. I think MRC copies MTC ( MTC has been around longer) cause they look exactly the same.

deadcpu said:
whoa, I need to run both Calcium reactor + Kalk reactor + Carbon Dioxide in order to keep hard coral?
I need some pictures or some draw to illustrate of the calcium reactor setup so I get some ideal of what type/kind of equipments i need.

You don't have to have a KALK, CA, or CD.

A calcium reactor slowly adds Calcium to the tank but it needs CO2 to "melt" the Calcium Media. CO2 lowers Ph.

Because of the lower Ph some people add a Kalk Reactor to raise the Ph. There's a nice long thread in Advanced Reefkeeping about the KA reactors.

As for running the Carbon Dioxide. It goes with the Calcium Reactor.

So there you have it. If you want to get a CA Reactor you can run that alone for a while and eventually if you want to add a KA reactor you can do it down the line. Tons of people run the CA reactor alone.

hope this helps.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Oliver,

Unless you have a large load of coral that need the calcium, you don't really need a Ca Reactor. You can do just fine with a Kalk Wasser Reactor and not have to deal with the additional cost of equipment, lower Ph, etc. Once you do get a large bioload of coral that demand Calcium, you can always add a Ca reactor.

Dan

thank you everyone for answering me. I think I will go with the Kalk reactor. Now, does anyone has picture like Mike Napoli's post? I need to see how to set it up :)
thank you again.

Olivier