• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Camel shrimp

Anyone ever have trouble with camel shrimp devouring xenia ? I looked in the tank the other night and the shrimp was on top of the xenia. When I woke the next morning the xenia was completely gone.

I have enough trouble with xenia without having a predator in the tank (or maybe that has beeen my problem all along).

That is very helpful, I have been losing zoanthids as well and my toadstool seems bothered.

Now I need suggestions on how to get him out of the tank. He used to only come out at night but now he is bigger and braver. There was a period of time when i thought he died because I didn"t see him for months. Now, he's back and hungry.

sc18702 said:
That is very helpful, I have been losing zoanthids as well and my toadstool seems bothered.

Now I need suggestions on how to get him out of the tank. He used to only come out at night but now he is bigger and braver. There was a period of time when i thought he died because I didn"t see him for months. Now, he's back and hungry.

Try baiting him in some kind of trap (soda bottle, mesh, commercially available traps) with a nice meaty piece of shrimp or something similar. Experiment to see what kind of food will bring him out.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Take a plastic soda bottle and cut ~1/3 off from the top. Take that piece and flip it over and place it into the bottom 2/3 (so that the neck of the bottle is inside the bottom half). Poke a few holes between the layers of bottle around the perimieter and connect them together with zip ties. Put a nice piece of bait in through the neck of the bottle and lower it into the tank. With any luck, the shrimp will find his way in to the bait and not be able to get out in the time it takes you to remove the bottle.

Good luck!

JohnS_323 said:
Take a plastic soda bottle and cut ~1/3 off from the top. Take that piece and flip it over and place it into the bottom 2/3 (so that the neck of the bottle is inside the bottom half). Poke a few holes between the layers of bottle around the perimieter and connect them together with zip ties. Put a nice piece of bait in through the neck of the bottle and lower it into the tank. With any luck, the shrimp will find his way in to the bait and not be able to get out in the time it takes you to remove the bottle.

Good luck!

that is how I got my cleaner shrimp out!

I can't get the cleaner shrimp or the camelback into the bottle. Small crabs are very appreciative of the meal though. Anything commercially available ? Good traps ?

That's what my LFS said but since i can't get the cleaner shrimp out I was hesitant to go that route. Those darn cleaner shrimp sometimes come and pick at my hand when I am working on the tank or spot feeding.

I need to try again and get then out. They should definitely be easier than the camel as they are out in the day and don"y seem to be as fast or afraid.

sc18702 said:
That's what my LFS said but since i can't get the cleaner shrimp out I was hesitant to go that route. Those darn cleaner shrimp sometimes come and pick at my hand when I am working on the tank or spot feeding.

I need to try again and get then out. They should definitely be easier than the camel as they are out in the day and don"y seem to be as fast or afraid.

Good luck. Shrimp seem to be the only things I have issues catching now!