• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Camera recommendations

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Looking for some recommendations from the photography experts out there. It's time I've broken down and gotten a nice (affordable) DSLR for taking coral shots. I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, D5100 and the Canon T3i. So far my favorite is the D5100 but can be swayed in a different direction all together. I'm looking for a package that would come with the body and a lens with the ability to upgrade to a macro lens down the road.

Oh and I know absolutely nothing about photography since my current camera is a cell phone :)

I've been eyeballing Amazon as they currently have the D5100 with a 18-55mm lens and 16gb sd card for $596.

kevin

NJRC Member
I bought the T3I about 6months ago & I definitely haven't used it to it's abilities. I've been seeing deal's for the T4I pop up a lot on www.spoofee.com like this one http://www.spoofee.com/deals-Canon_...enses_+_Printer_for_818_86_Shipped-779539.htm

I do not know what the changed in the T4i from the T3i. I'm quite sad that if I waited 6months I would of got a much better deal, LOL.

example of a decent shot I took;

504.jpg

I have the D3100 I love the camera the stock lens it comes with is great for outside pics the only problem is a good macro lens costs 3-400 so I make the stock lens work till I can afford a macro lens..

Check for a macro extension tube. It'll give you the desired effects without the high cost. The one for my Canon Rebel is only $8 on Ebay. Also, look online. I was able to find out on I believe ehow.com how to set my white balance. It takes away all the blues and dull look of the actinics and pulls the colors out perfectly. If you see our latest update, you can see how the camera setting made a world of difference compared to our older posts

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hcker

Do yourself a favor and whether it's the Canon or Nikon don't buy the kit. The lenses are OK at best. Buy the camera body and a good lens. Because no matter how good your camera is if the lens isn't great neither will your pictures be. This is especially true with macro shots.

Bob

+1 on Magic advise. Buy the blackbox then add the sigma 105 macro or nikon micro 55mm or nikon 60mm micro. Want more magnification? Add extension tube that give you more than 1:1 lifesize