• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Camera Suggestions

We are looking for Digi Cam suggestions to upgrade from our Oly C-765uz. We would like something with manual focus and zoom capability, long zoom, etc but not SLR (like to stay under $500). So far looked at the Fuji S9100 and S6000fd. Any other reviews/suggestions greatly appreciated as well as pros and cons of the two models listed.
As always, THANKS!

I'm a bit late on a reply here, but if you haven't found one yet, why are you against SLR? They have much more creativity possibilities and are fun to learn to use! You can get a used digital rebel 300d off ebay with a lens for under 500. I use that camera, and I'm happy with it. I'd like to upgrade soon though, but I've had it for a few years now.

-Bill

MCWarhammer said:
I'm a bit late on a reply here, but if you haven't found one yet, why are you against SLR? They have much more creativity possibilities and are fun to learn to use! You can get a used digital rebel 300d off ebay with a lens for under 500. I use that camera, and I'm happy with it. I'd like to upgrade soon though, but I've had it for a few years now.

-Bill
Thanks for the repy Bill. Nothing against the SLR really, just a price range issue. I would want one of the latest models and even the cheapest is around $600 I believe, then add the 3 lenses it would take to acheive the optical range of either of the camera's above, I'm way over $1k. These higher end "Point and Shoots" have all the functionality of the SLRs including hot shue for external flash, RAW mode, High ISO, manual focus and zoom etc. Really just on the fence between the two because of the resolution difference, but I'm leaning toward the S600fd. Was hoping with all these awesome pictures on here one of the photogs might have one, used one, or has one like it from another manufacturer to compare.

Check reviews on amazon, fred miranda if you're lucky, and maybe ask on http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/index.php

I've never used either of those cameras :-\

Sorcha said:
MCWarhammer said:

-Bill
Thanks for the repy Bill. Nothing against the SLR really, just a price range issue. I would want one of the latest models and even the cheapest is around $600 I believe, then add the 3 lenses it would take to acheive the optical range of either of the camera's above, I'm way over $1k. These higher end "Point and Shoots" have all the functionality of the SLRs including hot shue for external flash, RAW mode, High ISO, manual focus and zoom etc. Really just on the fence between the two because of the resolution difference, but I'm leaning toward the S600fd. Was hoping with all these awesome pictures on here one of the photogs might have one, used one, or has one like it from another manufacturer to compare.

I would suggest the Fuji S9100 I had the S6000 (I think that was the model) and it took great pics, it has the raw mode and a great zoom. All around great camera. I just went from that to a Olympus e-500 and though some may tell you to go to ebay and find it cheaper, I have found that to date SLR's are all around a lot more money so I think you are on the right path if you don't want to spend the money on an SLR or the time looking for them on e-bay.

Blstravler said:
I would suggest the Fuji S9100 I had the S6000 (I think that was the model) and it took great pics, it has the raw mode and a great zoom. All around great camera. I just went from that to a Olympus e-500 and though some may tell you to go to ebay and find it cheaper, I have found that to date SLR's are all around a lot more money so I think you are on the right path if you don't want to spend the money on an SLR or the time looking for them on e-bay.
Thanks, I was able to put my hands on both models this week. Upon further review there are some features on the S9100 that make it more compelling, not the least of which is CF memory option that the s6000fd does not have. I'll be sure to post some pix when I get it!