• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can you guess what house has a reef tank

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My electric bill is 4 x everyone else.
This is the life I chose but damn that’s high.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.png
    IMG_0185.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 7.04.04 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 7.04.04 PM.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have no idea what the actual bill is. My wife pays it.
I know it’s high. We both are working from home and there is always someone home. But if you look at the bill break down the big drain is the lights.
Growing corals is costing me $$$

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I was expecting a picture of 2 houses, one with a blue window and perhaps a backup generator.
Yes I have seen people post that. I was surprised to see my bill that high.
I can honestly say if I have a tank crash I am out of the hobby.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
If your running LEDs u doubt your bill will raise much im running 3 ai prime hds plus a current USA led puck bill raised maybe 10-15$ tops even with the pumps

I run 4 kessil A360's and 8-48"t5's over my tank plus a algae scrubber. But I am going to stay with the narrative that it's my wife and kids leaving all the other lights on in the house that is kiling our electric bill. LOL!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I run 4 kessil A360's and 8-48"t5's over my tank plus an algae scrubber. But I am going to stay with the narrative that it's my wife and kids leaving all the other lights on in the house that is kiling our electric bill. LOL!
The t5 will use the most electricity. I have two 6ft 4 bulb and I know they run up the bill. I only run the t5 for 4hrs. I also use a mix of different Kessil lughts and I don’t think the use as much electricity as the T5.

My bulbs are just about due for a change out (every12-14 months). I'm thinking about swapping out the t5's for some blades or reefbrites. I just hate anything that needs your phone and an app to run or program. GRRRR!
UKJ5Jyv.jpg

How are those algae scrubbers? Your sump looks spotless compared to mine lol
Almost to good. alot of times I will run my skimmer drain hose back to the sump just to dirty up the water a little bit. if not I bottom out my nutrients Can't really see the skimmer in this pic but its at the far end by the UV. Its a Reef Octopus 3000.
I'm sure this doesn't hep with the electric bill...........
TIoYStt.jpg