• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

cannister needed to house purigen & rowaphos

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FWIW

I run my tank without any filter sponges or socks, I just let it all fly around in there...more stuff to skim out, maybe some more stuff for the corals to eat...That's what I would like to think anyway! :)

Regardless if you do decide to run a canister you will still want to clean it regularly. Debris and Organics will build up in the media even more so if you don't have the sponges in there.

It's really not that difficult. I have a couple extra set of sponges so I turn off the power. Lift the lid, pull the sponges, replace with fresh ones. Throw the dirty sponges in a 5 gallon buck with tap water and a power head. The next morning they are 90% clean just from the powerhead.

I'm not trying to push the sponge thing on you or anyone else. But it doesn't have to be any harder then emptying/cleaning the protein skimmer and can be just as effective as the protein skimmer (if not more) at removing organics. It's dirt cheap too.

Carlo

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Since my nitrates are .05 with a Salifert Kit, I would say I'm doing alright. :)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I hate cleaning socks to the point I got an idea for a add on box for the sump. You use the bulk filter pads or felt pads you just pull out and throw away.

That sounds kind of nifty RichT. Could you elaborate a tad bit on it?

Carlo

PS I haven't really used those types of pads. If you didn't want to just throw them away but maybe stock pile a few sets and clean them all at one time could this be done or are they really made to just throw away after each use?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
cayars said:
could this be done or are they really made to just throw away after each use?

Its basically just a bubble box the feed water dumps into. The box is sorta lined with the filter padding. As the filter padding gets clogged the water rises in the box until it spills over the overflow at the top. Then it's time to change the pad. I doubt I'd clean it but I would imagine you could if you wanted. It's just rattling around in my head right now. As it gets closer to fruition I'll post some details.