• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

canopy

I was wondering what types of canopies every had. I have an oak one the sits off tank 6 inches. I have been having problems with heat. I can't close top because temp jumps up. I have put a small fan onto the top but I lose alot of water and I don't know if it's a bad thing to have to top off. I was thinking of bringing the height of the top up another 6 inches so there would be air movement but don't know what a 12 in top would look like..

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
6" is way too close for MH lighting. The heat buildup really is an issue. We used to have an oceanic standard hood with 250w MH lights in it, but between the salt spray and the heat, it just wasn't a viable solution. We built our own hood for that tank using Merv's hood as a guide. We have a wonderfully built custom hood for the new tank as well. You just can't buy a stock hood high enough (except maybe from Perfecto).

In general top off is a good thing. Evaporation is a good way of cooling your tank.

I think I am going to follow the top I have but bring it up to maybe 12 inches I only have pc lighting but ever slot in the back has some thing in it. Right now I am toping off about 5 gallons a week on a 45 gallon tank