• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cant find my one clown

I picked up a pair of false percs Wedresday from ILC...they both looked to be doing well in their display tank...when I got them home and did a drip acclimation (about an hour) they both went into my tank the bigger of the two didnt look too good.....the smaller one is out and about and looks normal..the bigger one is hiding and I have only caught a glimpse of him since Wednesday and from what I saw he didnt look like he was going to make it...I have yet to see him in the past 24 hours and I am afraid if he dosnt make it he will be dead and stuck in my rockwork somwhere....what do I do...Tear apart my rockwork to find him and see if he is alive or what...these are the only 2 fish in a 55gallon tank ...

At this point there is not much you could do. THe fish is stressed for one reason or other and any action on your part will probably just aggrevate the stress. It could be that the fish was sick to start with. Or the fish is scared of new environment. Or it did not react well to something in your water. Assuming your water parameters are fine, the only thing you could do is to feed it and wait. Leave them be as much as possible to reduce the stress. If you are worried about dead fish stuck in rockwork, don't be. Your tank is big enough to absorb any spike in nutrients specially if you have a nice cleaning crew that will take care of business. Serpent and bristle stars are exceptionally good for that sort of thing.

My cleanup crew so far only consists of snails...Im not to keen on hermits as in my last reef they were more of a pain then they were worth...(killing snails)...I still am unsure if I should get some bluelegs or not...how many would ya suggest for a 55gallon

Not much you can do at this point. Your cleanup crew will take care of it if it's dead and hope it's not something bad like Marine velvet. In the future if you would like to avoid any of these issues maybe you should think about QT'ing anything before you add it to your dispay. I speak from experience it will avoid much aggravation and stress.

Harry

Whatever you think a hermit can do - a species of snail can do better...

For dead things - there is nothing better than a clutch of nassarius vibex snails...be careful about getting the temperate species Illynassa obsoleta...you find those usually on ebay from sellers in north carolina...

Article by Dr.Ron on these critters: Nassarius Snails as Scavengers in Reef Aquaria

but i definitely agree with harryk...consider investing in a small QT...