• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

CBS!

My coral banded shrimp is attacking my anthias! I don't know what to do! I want him out but I don't have a net or anything. He's always such a big jerk, I don't even care if I have to kill him. He's such a *$^! Anything! I don't want him to catch anything. He's got one of the females from the trio cornered in a cave.

if you have a pair of tongs, try and place some food down there for the CBS to eat (instead of it trying to go for your fish).

It'***** or miss with CBS - i've heard some horror stories.

stab him with a skewer and throw him on the grill. ill be over in 15 minutes ;D

or you could always just banish him to your sump.

if you have a ziploc and some raw fish/shellfish you could put the food in the ziploc and lower it in the tank near the shrimp.

If the shrimp is fearless, like it seems to be, it may go in the ziploc with your hand still in the tank for the food.

then pull it out.

have not done this, but my shrimp attack raw seafood, so I would not be surprised if it worked.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Take a plastic water bottle and cut it in half just below where the neck becomes the bottle. Flip the neck around so that it is in the bottle. Punch a couple of holes around the seam and use zip ties or string or something to keep them together. Bang, instant shrimp trap! Tie a string on there somewhere to use for pulling the trap out and then stuff a few cubes of food or whatever inside and drop it in. Eventually the CBS will go in there. I've caught shrimp that way a couple of times.

I don't even have a 2 little bottle of anything! :( No net, no tongs, no nothing!

Ugh, I've lost sight of the one that was cornered, and I can't turn on my lights to see him either, because it scares away the CBS. I REALLY hate this shrimp. ALOT.

ok, lets start over. do you have a fish tank? :D

lol, kidding, but how do you not have a net? how about a food safe tupperware that you can scoop him with, better yet two, to corner him into one. even if you could lift the rock out hes on without it running and put him into a bucket that would be great.

Ok, well. I slept on the ideas, because I heard work in the morning. Grabbed myself a net, and I plan to put him in my sump. Here's the update.

-CBS has been inside cave on the right side of the tank since 7AM this morning (5:30PM right now)
-Anthias have made refuge in another cave on the other side of the tank
-Here's the bad part. One of the Anthias has been hiding since last night when I dropped him in the tank. He has not been eating anything, and didn't come out of his hiding place at the LFS to eat, because well, I thought he was guarding his territory or something -I thought nothing of it, I big mistake- His breathing is a little fast and he's not moving to much but I do see him come out of the cave to look around sometimes, albeit slowly. My main concern right now is to get him to eat something. I have Rod's food and have attempted to squirt some food in there with a small pipette, but I can't even see if he's eating.

Sounds like your fish is stressed. Keep an eye on the fish it could ich from the stress. I'm no expert on CBS but are they cleaners? If so this could be the reason for its behavior.

Gecko said:
Sounds like your fish is stressed. Keep an eye on the fish it could ich from the stress. I'm no expert on CBS but are they cleaners? If so this could be the reason for its behavior.

No they are not cleaners at all. I wouldnt classify them as aggressive per say but opportunistic.

Mine hangs upside down all day from the same rock until after the lights go out and then he roams all over the place looking for whatever they look for. If I stare at him too long he gives me the two claw pump threateningly.

I'd wait till it got dark in the room and in the tank and see if he decides to come out for a stroll. Then catch him.

adesimone1 said:
Mine will clean I have a pair the fish go to them all the time

Maybe they are just tasting your fish :eek: J/K

I have peppermints and a cleaner shrimp that will clean but have never seen my Coral banded clean any fish in my tank.

He will threaten any fish that comes within a 3 in radius of him. He actually swipes his claws at them and tries to nip them.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
WarmSoda said:
-Here's the bad part. One of the Anthias has been hiding since last night when I dropped him in the tank. He has not been eating anything, and didn't come out of his hiding place at the LFS to eat, because well, I thought he was guarding his territory or something -I thought nothing of it, I big mistake- His breathing is a little fast and he's not moving to much but I do see him come out of the cave to look around sometimes, albeit slowly. My main concern right now is to get him to eat something. I have Rod's food and have attempted to squirt some food in there with a small pipette, but I can't even see if he's eating.

How long did you acclimate the fish for? Which Anthias did you get? There are many different Anthias available in LFS and not all are easy to keep/acclimate.

3 Resplendent Anthias. The one that is showing signs of stress is the male. The other two females are out and about happy as can be, eating everything. I drip acclimated them for about 45 min.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Ok I acclimated mine for 3 hours. I also got one male and two females. If it makes you feel any better, my male also hid for a day before getting used to the tank.
How big is the tank they are in?

65 gallon.

Male just kicked the bucket. Just scooped him out. Do you think Aquatic Obsession will take him back?

Sad day...

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Very sorry to hear this. I have never been to AO. I know Trop has 48 hr guarantee if your water checks out. You should try same with AO.

Again, sorry to hear dude.

Sunny

Examined for white spots; clean.

Lights just when off, main female is acting strange. not sure if it's my imagination, the lights, or her already changing sexes. She's going back to the cave where the male was staying, and she's exceptionally frighten-able.

Got the CBS out! YES!

Thanks for your help guys. I'm gonna work on getting a smaller female to add to the trio.

Mod's can close this.