• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

change of flow

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
hey guys. I have a 50g tank, sps all on top sections, LPS on sand. I have two mp10QDs for flow set to gyre at around 40-50%. do all you sps guys switch up the flow once in a while, or do you always keep it the same? I was thinking switching to another mode for like a day or so, then back to gyre. any suggestions and comments appreciated.
dd6f8fc8c548a5f375de22d8973d5dec.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I run reef crest on my MP's

Originally had two MP40's in my five foot 90DT.

Went to @HerbieK 's for the December NJRC meeting and counted 12 powerheads in his tank.

Watched Dane Riddles talk from MACNA 2016 where he talked about the importance of flow.

I now have four MP40's and an MP10 in my tank!

Still running reef crest....that changes the flow.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

Went to @HerbieK 's for the December NJRC meeting and counted 12 powerheads in his tank.

Watched Dane Riddles talk from MACNA 2016 where he talked about the importance of flow.

makes me regret selling my other mp10!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do you run reefcrest all they time? I just stwitched from a pair of gyres and a few jeabos to two MP60s and two MP40s. I'm still playing around with some different modes and using sync and antisync to create a variety of flow. Reefcrest seems to be my favorite so far. Very happy with the change and will probably put the gyres back in use along the back wall at some point.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

horseplay

NJRC Member
I use two powerheads in my 105. One MP40 and one Jebao RW-8. Don't change the flow. As long as the polyps are not blown in one direction it's ok.

C

charterreefer

I have been running Reef Crest mode for most of the day and the "nutrient export mode" for 2.5 hrs/day. (after the 5:30 feeding) 2.5 hours is approx how long the program design is. I have their reef link, it enables more programs to be run daily.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have been running Reef Crest mode for most of the day and the "nutrient export mode" for 2.5 hrs/day. (after the 5:30 feeding) 2.5 hours is approx how long the program design is. I have their reef link, it enables more programs to be run daily.
i may invest in the reeflink. especially if it can change the modes throughout the day

C

charterreefer

i may invest in the reeflink. especially if it can change the modes throughout the day
I like it a lot however, it can be a bit of a pain setting it up. It's a kind of a home grown system and some things don't seem intuitive (to me at least). Once you get past that part it's pretty cool. The support at Ecotech is good although, I have the best luck emailing them first about what it is that I want to do (that I can't figure out myself). They usually call back a day later. If you try to just call tech support it can be hit or miss if someone will answer.