• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Changing sump

well here it goes the question, i have a 120g like every1 knows, and my sump is a 40g breeder, well the problem is that the sump is backwards, do you guys think i will need to empty my tank, sump, and do the plumbing again in the tank if i want to change the sump???
i hope i make some kind of sence

Gabriel

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I dont think so Gabe, You could just go ahead and change the sump. If you have a few powerheads and a heater in the tank, it would be plenty to keep the tank stable while you work on the sump.

Are you just going to be cutting and gluing PVC? That should only take a few hours, no need to drain the tank, I would go ahead and make the changes let the PVC glue dry (if that's what your using) and you're up and running again!

I've had to take my sump out of service for close to a day while replacing it and didn't have any problems. As long as you have powerheads keeping the water moving you should be fine. If anything point a couple upwards a little to cause more surface movement to keep the O2 good in the tank.

Worse case is to do a 20-25% water change after you get the sump back inline if it's going to be close to a day.

If you need to have the sump off for a while and you're near Deptford I can loan you a Proclear 200 to use while you work on your sump.

Carlo

thank you sinkingbeach, i think i will have to go with the second link, when i get home i will start tanking measurements

I just don't get why manufactures don't put a door on the side(s) of stands. On my next tank if I use a commercial stand I'm modding it before I even use it to put a full door on the side for just such occasions.

I've hit this problem to many times now. Sometimes just trying to put a piece of equipment into the sump is impossible without being able to slide it out the side of the cabinet!

Carlo