• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

check this new lighting out

Wow, it won't be long before Current, Icecap, Hamilton, etc. get there hands on it and start making aquarium lighting.... and LEDs didn't even get a chance to shine (pun intended). I imagine the price tag being similar to the LED solaris or more.

Thanks for posting.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I see this as the next stage in building self sustaining power sourses. Imagine a few of these bulbs shining light onto an array of solar cells and part of the power from the solar cells being used to light these bulbs....... now that would be amazing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow. That's AMAZING! They say that the internal temp of the gasses gets to the same temperature as the sun (?!) thereby producing a color spectrum similar to the sun... I'll take 3!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Considering the lumens (par) the bulbs put out, I'd bet we could run our tanks on 100 watts or less.

Patience...first they have to bilk all the investors, THEN they reveal the whole thing to be a hoax or impractical (<5 hour life, not actually what it seems, etc...)

First you have to navigate the world of patents- then release it. Until it's patented and someone agrees to distribute it, it's just another person's pipe dream. For all we know the ballast to power that light is still the size of mini-coop.

I was reading some of Luxim's information. It seems they can achieve a very high kelvin rating with these bulbs. 14000k and 20000k are no problem. Just a matter of if and when they look at the aquarium industry.